New cherry mead questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xpoc454

Reaction score
This will be my first meada ttempt and I will prbably start it around Xmas time. Thought I would spend some time doing some research on it to make sure it works out for the best.
I am leaning toward doing this recipe here:
http://www.tastybrew.com/brews/view/33
I had a few basic questions though.

My source of honey is probably going to be just wildflower honey. Im getting a pretty good deal on a lady her comes to my work and I dont feel bad giving her the money. Its her hobby and 6$ per 3 lb jugs seem pretty good.

The recipe mentions mixing different sources of honey. How much will that effect the taste if all I have is wildflower?

Also, are cloves and allspice something specific I need to get at a brew store or do they sell the type I can use at a regular store in the spice section?

FInnaly, they mention using 2 packets of yeast. ANy idea why 2?

I will probably be doing a 3 gallon batch and not a 5 gallon batch, so I will adjust all the numbers to match for a 3 gallon.

thanks for the help

It really doesn't matter what flower source the honey is from. Most of the time it's mentioned is because that's what THEY used for their recipe.

$6 for 3 lb may seem like a goo price. I get 1 gal for $18 which is much better and "the going price for beekeepers". See if you can get it from the seller.

Buy your spices fresh if you can, already grated if you must. Grocery stores supplies are fine.

Two packets of yeast...common for meads. All you really have to do is make a large starter and you'll be OK.

there are no standards for honey as far as I know, so there might not be a definitive answer to this.

If you consider it to be similar to liquid malt extract in density, you'll have about 12 lbs in a gallon... give or take a little.

-walker

Im about to do this recipe tonight. it is my first one, hopefully someone will answer before I try it.
My question is, this recipe mentions boiling every thig for 45 mins.
Do I want to boil the frozen fruit and the spices that long?
I thought it could cause strange tastes?
thanks

If you want clear mead DO NOT boil the fruit.
I don't boil my honey. I boil the water to sterilize it then steep the honey for 20 minutes at 160 or higher.
Ferment the honey by itself for a month or so then rack it on the fruit.

I tasted my first batch last night. It was 2 weeks in the bottle.
Id have to say it was quite bitter and the allspice I put in it was a little strong. Im hoping it is true what people say, that it will get much better with time. I will test it again at 2 months than at the 6month time that it was officially supposed to be tasted at.

Tried some more this recently and the all spice is still a little over powering, anyone know if that will come down after more time?
If not I may use 1/4 as much next time I do this.

I've always had the opposite problem with ciders, the spices disappear after three or four months. Meads take a long time to mature. Stick it away in a corner and taste it again in September.

I usually go with very simple recipes, using only the fruit and the honey and I've never really had any problems. But David is right- I've had some regular mead in my basement from last summer that tasted wierd right out of the fermenter, but the most recent bottles have been smooth all the way.

Back