Frozen Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

voodoochild7

Reaction score
Went to my local home brew shop. Went to go pick out some yeast and it was frozen. I got there just about when the shop opened up. Lady said someone must have screwed up the temp control on the fridge before they closed for the night. Any way I brewed my brew (the recipe follows in case anyone wants it). I let the stuff thaw out until it was room temp and pitched I guess I'll see if it works I have some back up dry in case no go. Should this effect my the yeast has anyone ever used a yeast the had been frozen before. It was white labs California Ale by the way. I shook the yeast to mix it with the wort in the tube and when I opened it it popped with some co2 in there so I guess it started just curious to see if anyone else had any experience like this.

Leftover Brown Ale

Ingredients

6.6 lbs. Muntons Amber Liquid Extract
1.4 lbs. Alexanders Pale Malt Extract
8 and 5/8 oz. 120-L Crystal Malt
9 and 1/8 oz. Roasted Barley
¾ oz. Fuggles for 60 min.
1 and ¼ oz . Centennial for 60 min.
½ oz. Centennial for 10 min.
½ oz. Willamette for 10 min.
½ oz. Willamette for 3 min.
1 tsp. gypsum (if needed for pH)
5 gal. water
1 tsp. Irish moss
White Labs California Ale WLP001

Brew Process

Brewed on 11/20/2005

Mash grain in 1 gal. water at 150-155 degrees for 1 hour
Sparge with 170 degree water
Add wort to brew pot and heat to 212 degrees
When wort temp. is at 212 degrees add malt extract and bittering hops(60 minute hops).
At 10 minutes to go add flavoring hops(ten minute hops) and Irish Moss.
At 3 minutes to go add the aroma hops(3 minute hops).
Cool the wort and pitch the yeast. I pitched at 78 – 80 degrees.

Fermentation

Original Gravity
Hydrometer reading was 1.060 Original Gravity is 1.062 corrected for temperature. The final gravity for this should be around 1.021.

I'll be surprised if it works for you but it could. The co2 was generated when they first sealed up the tube and remained till you opened it. They didn't just generate it.

Yeast was deffinitely dead it did not start. I pitched in some dry I had for backup that was in my fridge. Put in in warm water and now still no action what gives when sould I give up on this.

Give the dry yeast a day to start.

If this should happen again, make sure you make a starter...that way you won't have to worry about whether or not the yeast is alive.

If this dry doesn't start up how long do I have before my wort is toast. I brewed it up yesterday around midnight.

david_42 said:
I'd get worried around 72 hours from the original pitch.

I hear this all the time and just cringe. Folks, I've said it and others have said it over and over and over again. I feel like I'm beating a dead horse but for God's sake, make a Starter.

I get active fermentation in less than 8 hours every single time. Heck the last batch an all grain Kolsch, I was seeing the expanding colonies of yeast within 2 hours active fermentation and krausen after 7 hours.

You guys are going to give yourselves ulcers over something that's easily controllable.

ScottT said:
I've said it and others have said it over and over and over again - make a Starter. You guys are going to give yourselves ulcers over something that's easily controllable.

What he said....only no misspellings this time!!! :D

Damn operator error!!! :drunk:

Hello, operator? What time zone am I in? :drunk:

...and freezing kills yeast without glycerine added...

I was told by a lallemand rep that they don't officially recomend storing dry yeast in a freezer, but in reality it seems to store fine.
Liquid yeast probably dies because the liquid crystalizes causing the yeasty's cell walls to explode.

homebrewer_99 said:
What he said....only no misspellings this time!!! :D

Damn operator error!!! :drunk:

Hello, operator? What time zone am I in? :drunk:

...and freezing kills yeast without glycerine added...

That's right, pick on the guy who'se only educational defeciency is spelling and typeing. :eek:

OK, you got that right (easy target...I apologize...)

I didn't know Hurst was between DFW? I lived in Texarkana, TX, NOT Ark, once for 9 months. I have an Army buddy in Denton that I've visited before, and I have an ex-co-worker who's from New Boston.

The next round's on me! :drunk:

(Just kidding around - I'm not perfect either....:D )

Back