Dry Hop...Again?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmkratt

Reaction score
Just kegged my IPA, which I dry hopped with 1 oz. of leaf Cascade for 1 week in the secondary. I tasted the sample when I took my gravity reading and the bitterness and flavor are good, but the aroma is weak. This is my first dry hop experience so I am wondering if I sterilize a dry hop bag and drop some more hops in the keg (which is now in the keezer) will help aroma?

I searched ad nauseum but can't seem to find a scenario similar to this! Any help! :tank:

You said it is not in the keezer? There won't be any issues with doing on what you are planning to do. The only reason you don't want to dry hop while chilled is that you get better results when at room temperature.

Sorry typo, it is NOW in the keezer.

I can certainly take it out again though. Just don't want to contaminate it and don't know if dry hopping again will have any beneficial effect.

I re-hop IPAs in the keg. The aroma is rarely tops for more than 2-3 months. Just as a side note, try using a different hop this round.

I dryhop in the keg, too. It works fine! I don't think it'd be good of "instead of" the secondary- as was mentioned earlier it would be a very slow process- but in addition to the dryhopping in the secondary.

I'm planning on making beer for my wedding in Sept. I'll be making "my" pale ale and a brown. They will be served from kegs. My plan was to brew in July, keg in early Aug then dry hop the carbed pale ale in the keg a week or two before the wedding for maximum aroma. I wasn't planning on doing a traditional secondary for the dry hops; just hopping the keg. Thoughts?

Yooper - this would be in addition to the secondary.

I am planning on addng more hops after work. The only question is leaf or pellet in the keg? I figure leaf (in bag) would allow for least sediment and will probably go this route. Anyone disagree?

Thanks again for all the help!

Whole hops are definitely less trouble, but if your bag/teaball is fine enough, either works.

I just dumped the whole hops in, smelled great. Will sample first beer from keg Thursday and will see how it turned out!

Back