Insulated bubble wrap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewer3401

Reaction score
Does the house insulation that is bubble wrap sandwiched between thin aluminum foil type material have a maximum temperature range ?

I made my mash tun insulation with two layers of double bubble wrap, and at first, worked great.

Now I'm losing temp pretty quickly.

Well, melting would be an issue at some point...

As long as the bubbles and foil are intact, it should work the same.

The insulating cabability is only based on the reflectivity and the insulating power of the bubbles (air). If that has not been compromised, it isnt the fault of the wrap.

McMaster Carr list its temp rating as -60 - +180 F.

Thanks to all for the info.

I'm going to make another insulation - some reason, when I push on mine, they don't "pop" like a new piece does.

Guess I just wore it out.

Only thing different, will put a heavy cloth barrier between mash tun and bubble wrap

Will do 3 layers of double-bubble.

Thanks again.

It helps to make a circular cap for the lid. A lot of heat is lost through the top. Usually, the reflectix bubble foil insulation is fairly durable. It's not real easy to "pop" the bubbles unless they get punctured somehow which would be rather unusual. Your noticeably increased heat loss could simply be due to the lower ambient temperatures this time of year.

Doesnt get too chilly in SE Lousiana... whew... I was there a week ago and it was 90!

Doesnt get too chilly in SE Lousiana... whew... I was there a week ago and it was 90!

Cold front to us means high temps of 70 F

I envy you guys/girls from the north.

Brewing in the summer, I can get my wort down to 100 F with tap water, then I'm running ice water through a pond pump to get down to 58 F

Aside from the base malt, the ice is my most expensive brew ingredient.

Love Lousiana though, hot and humid.
Enjoy the layovers there.

Love Lousiana though, hot and humid.
Enjoy the layovers there.

Doctor friend of mine told me at a convention down here, doc friend of his realized why everyone from New Orleans "had diabetes and high blood pressure" - food is really to kill for.

No hurricanes this year - which is nice.

Temps get to 98 F and it's stay inside time.

Ave high for Oct = 78 F, ave low = 58F, Mean = 68F.

for Sept those numbers are about 10F higher.

In January it can get quite chilly with an Ave high = 60F and ave. low = 41F

It could well have been quite cool when he last brewed relative to the previous session. It would likely make a huge difference if so.

It helps to make a circular cap for the lid. A lot of heat is lost through the top. Usually, the reflectix bubble foil insulation is fairly durable. It's not real easy to "pop" the bubbles unless they get punctured somehow which would be rather unusual. Your noticeably increased heat loss could simply be due to the lower ambient temperatures this time of year.

I have a double-bubble circle I lay on the top of the mash. I think that helps a lot.

It's almost always hot in New Orleans.

When I first got the bubble insulation, I goofed and kneeled on it - pop.

Old insulation won't pop.

I'm sure it is on the warm side there, but what I was getting at is that on the days and at the time you were brewing was there much of temp difference or was it breezy? I don't know if you are brewing indoors or outside, but it's similar to when chilling the wort. The rate of heating/cooling is higher when the temperature differences are large and the effect is not a linear. I've brewed outside in near freezing weather and it took a lot of heat to keep up the mash temps. I don't do that anymore! It's indoors for me in cold weather. I can deal pretty well with cool, but so much when it drops much below 45F or so. Brrrrr...I'd rather be in the south.

I'm sure it is on the warm side there, but what I was getting at is that on the days and at the time you were brewing was there much of temp difference or was it breezy? I don't know if you are brewing indoors or outside, but it's similar to when chilling the wort. The rate of heating/cooling is higher when the temperature differences are large and the effect is not a linear. I've brewed outside in near freezing weather and it took a lot of heat to keep up the mash temps. I don't do that anymore! It's indoors for me in cold weather. I can deal pretty well with cool, but so much when it drops much below 45F or so. Brrrrr...I'd rather be in the south.

Normal "cool" day for NOLA - around 70 F

I brew outdoors - three 12.50 gallon pots - would make an ass out of my stove.

I just put my first double-bubble insulation on - decided against the cloth barrier - used very heavy aluminum foil as a barrier.

Going to put the other layer on in a while.

Beer in brite tank being kegged early December, so I can brew again.

Need beer for Mardi Gras

Also need to brew soon again for crawfish season - kids love the Blonde Ale.

Back