Any Concern with food coloring??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mangine77

Reaction score
I'm being that guy and adding green to my beer but not for St. Patricks day, it's actually for The Masters.

I was just going to add it to the bottling bucket and dye it all at once.

Here's the ingredients on the food coloring:

Poropylene Glycol
FD&C Yellow 5
FD&C Blue 1
Propylparben (Preservative)

Will any of these things have an affect on the flavor or carbonation of my beer??

What kind of beer you adding it to? Might try blue food coloring to mix with the yellow, if doing a lite cream ale or similar, to make green.
I don't think there's any negatvie effect. But not 100%

What I usually do is pour several pints of a good stout about a month before St. Patrick's Day. Then I leave those out in the yard, uncovered. They're green by the time the big day comes around. This really works, you should try it. ;)

Okay, so I don't do that. I never really understood the fascination with green beer.

Be aware that if you drink something with food coloring in it, it may very well come back out of you later with the same coloring intact. Won't hurt ya, but it can freak out guests who come to have your beer. Hell, that could be half the fun.

What kind of beer you adding it to? Might try blue food coloring to mix with the yellow, if doing a lite cream ale or similar, to make green.
I don't think there's any negatvie effect. But not 100%

I'm adding it to BierMunchers Centennial Blonde Ale. I was just going to use a little green thinking that since it's already golden, it would work?

I think you would be safe using green coloring. At worst, you will get a slightly yellower green. I've had a lot of experience mixing ink and with color analysis. Dropping blue coloring into light colored beer will turn it blue.

Be aware that if you drink something with food coloring in it, it may very well come back out of you later with the same coloring intact. Won't hurt ya, but it can freak out guests who come to have your beer. Hell, that could be half the fun.

Heh.

Too bad there isn't something you can add that will only change color in the body. REALLY freak them out!

Make a good joke.

:D

Back