Canning Wort for Starters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, sounds like a can-a-thon! Good job, I bet that keeps you in starters for a good long time.

I am not sure about canning the last several jars of the starter wort due to the amount of hotbreak each jar conatins. Is there enough yeast food in jars with this much hotbreak?

008 (2).jpg

006.jpg

I have a brew buddy that wants to get into canning starter wort and I came up with the question. Will it matter what type of base malt we use to make the starter wort? Can we mix 2-row, pilsen, pale malt, wheat and/or vienna depending on what we having laying around that might be needed to be used up?

msa8967 said:
So any mixture of these would also be fine?

IMO, yes. I might not use wheat unless it's a wheat beer, otherwise sny mix of base to make 1.040 wort is fine. A starter is too small to affect outcome of the beer, unless it's infected.

I agree with this, though I have no specific sources to cite. All you're trying to do is make a (mostly) maltose solution, the specific kilning and other processing done to the various base malts really only tweaks the secondary compounds that provide character to the beer, and you obviously don't care about that. Of course, don't go sticking any crystal or roast malts in there, but I'm sure you won't be.

Latest posts

Back