Non Alcoholic, Non Carbonated Malt Bev?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eli1979

Reaction score
Total no-nothing noob here. I want to brew an Ale or Lager-like non alcoholic, non-carbonated malted barley beverage. Anyone have a link to share, a book to recommend, etc., that just spells it all out in really plain layman's language?

Cheers to y'all!

You could basically just make beer, but never add yeast. It would come out really sweet, but maybe adding extra hops to balance it out would fix it?

Maybe brew like usual, let it ferment out, and then boil for a while to get rid of the alcohol?

I've read on some forums that people have frozen the beer (not solid, but to the point of slush) post fermentation and then poured off the alcohol. The theory being that the beer would freeze before the alcohol would. Then they force carb in a keg.

Doesn't seem like it would affect the taste like re-boiling the beer would. But it doesn't sound very effective either. I dunno.

Personnally...N/A beer is kind of like a dead puppy. Shocking, sad and makes me want to cry....

My wife is pregnant so I did some research on making a NA beer. From what I can tell, and I didn't try it yet, you make and ferment a regular beer, then heat it to above the boiling point of alcohol, NOT an actual boil, as that would drive off flavor and aroma. Alcohol boils at about 173 degrees. At a temp higher than that, the alcohol will evaporate but the beer itself will not come to a full boil. How long to hold at this temp will probably depend on the amount of starting alcohol and size of the batch. Then just cool and skip any regular fermentation steps. There is some info on it here. http://byo.com/stories/article/indices/43-low-alcohol-brewing/265-brew-a-great-non-alcoholic-beer

My wife is pregnant so I did some research on making a NA beer. From what I can tell, and I didn't try it yet, you make and ferment a regular beer, then heat it to above the boiling point of alcohol, NOT an actual boil, as that would drive off flavor and aroma. Alcohol boils at about 173 degrees. At a temp higher than that, the alcohol will evaporate but the beer itself will not come to a full boil. How long to hold at this temp will probably depend on the amount of starting alcohol and size of the batch. Then just cool and skip any regular fermentation steps. There is some info on it here. http://byo.com/stories/article/indices/43-low-alcohol-brewing/265-brew-a-great-non-alcoholic-beer

If you try this approach, you would probably be cooking for a long time, and driving off all the lovely aromatics.
http://homecooking.about.com/library/archive/blalcohol12.htm

I've read on some forums that people have frozen the beer (not solid, but to the point of slush) post fermentation and then poured off the alcohol. The theory being that the beer would freeze before the alcohol would. Then they force carb in a keg.

Doesn't seem like it would affect the taste like re-boiling the beer would. But it doesn't sound very effective either. I dunno.

Personnally...N/A beer is kind of like a dead puppy. Shocking, sad and makes me want to cry....

I think you would be throwing out a lot of what makes beer... beer. The water will freeze, but will be relatively pure, so you'll be throwing out concentrated beer and alcohol. kind of "freeze distillation/concentration" in reverse.

I agree. Don't try to turn vegetables into a hamburger, and don't try to take the alcohol out of beer. Some things are just the price of admission.

Thanks for posting the byo.com article. I bought the ingredients for a red ale the week before I found out I was pregnant. I was worried that the yeast and grains would be thoroughly stale by the time I got to brew them. I think I'll try making half the batch very low alcohol. After all, it was going to go to waste otherwise.

Back