Another Counter Flow Chiller Video

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koomber

Reaction score
It's a Point of View guide to making a Counter Flow Chiller from Start to Finish. plus a second video showing it being tested with boiling water.
I call it the mighty micro because it is a bit smaller than most other CFC's I've seen.
180606_10150143425489673_687579672_7742094_2507114_n.jpg

164809_10150143425544673_687579672_7742095_4157408_n.jpg

It works pretty well though! Manages to cool 5 gallons of wort to 20°C in about 15-20 minutes. OF course, you can make it huge, but you know what they say:It's not what you do with it, it's the size that counts! :rockin:

The Build (The music is Hocus Pocus by Focus)

The Test of the CFC and failure of my cheapo tap adapter and death of the Autofocus on my girlfriends camera! Sorry about the poor quality in the second half :LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the size and operation, I need to make something about this size as I do not have access to an actual hose fitting for a full size hose, I will instead need to finish the ends with barb adapters and push the water with a smaller aquarium pump.

On mine I will also gravity feed the wort through the chiller, am considering a ball valve to slow the flow if needed. My only issue at this point is going to be how to start the siphon without using my mouth. To siphon wort now I use an auto-siphon which is very nice, but I don't think that it will hold up to the heat of the wort.

My other though was to put a t on the output, and run a long tube up from the tee. By blocking the end of the pipe for a moment I could suck start the wort using a modified venturi effect, and then just uncap the end when the wort hit the bottom, keeping my mouth feet away from the wort.

Do you find that you are happy with the temperature after one pass? I am too lazy to learn the metric system, so I am only guessing that 20 is a pitching temp?

Any other ideas that don't involve 500 assorted fittings? :)

Great project, this is going to happen this weekend!

p.s. my condolences to the camera :(

OF course, you can make it huge, but you know what they say:It's not what you do with it, it's the size that counts! :rockin:

yeah, you say that; but try crossing the Atlantic in a rowboat :cross: good job on the soldering, makes mine look like it was done by a 3 year old.

Cheers for the comments on the soldering.

It probably helped that I gave the copper a good wash with citric acid and then polished it up using brass polish. Just gives it that little extra bling.
The trick with the soldering is to take your time (isn't that always the way?) and not heat the copper too much. That and a LOT of flux I find always helps.

I'm gonna make a mighty micro for a buddy who does 5 gallon brews. I'm hoping it will chill quick enough for him, but if not he can hook two up in serial :)

Back