Propane.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orangevango

Reaction score
I bought a turkey frier, and I was wondeing if there is a whole brew session in one normal sized grill propane tank or if I should pony up and buy two tanks. Thanks

Yeah, if you ONLY boil with propane, it doesnt take alot... Heat your HLT with electric, and boil with propane and you will not use much energy at all.

That's my fear, it'll run out in the middle of a boil. Home Depot has a 24 self-exchange ~2 miles from the house but I don't relish the idea of doing that in the middle of a brew session so I'll prob end up getting another tank myself.

Watch craigslist for someone getting rid of a grill for cheap. You can have an extra tank and and a spare grill to boot.

If you use hot water out of your bathtub or kitchen, it'll take less time to heat the water for the HLT as well.

If you use hot water out of your bathtub or kitchen, it'll take less time to heat the water for the HLT as well.

I thought I read somewhere it wasn't a good idea to use hot water out of the faucet/bathtub due to possible "bad stuff" in your water heater?

I mash/sparge on my electric stove and only boil outside on the propanes. Yes it's good to have another full tank on standby just in case.

Back