newbe apfelwein Q's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zachatola

Reaction score
So I've made my first batch of apfelwein and its been a big hit, im wanting to start another batch, but i want to mix it up a bit. What i would like to do is make a bit sweeter less dry apfelwein, i was thinking about using something along a sweet mead yeast (suggestions wanted). I was also thinking about adding some lactose to the mix but i wanted to find out a few things about it before using it. Does it leave an aftertaste like splenda ect does? When in the process should i add the lactose? Im assuming not during the fermentation process, although its non fermentable so i don't see any reason it cant be in there from the start? Any suggestions?

Well... You can use whatever you want. It's not going to be "APELWEIN" but it can be very good.
Try Cote Des Blanc Yeast and Honey instead of sugar. Also add Yeast Nutrient, and then stabilize and back sweeten with more honey when fermentation is complete.

Ok so being the newbie to brewing and "back sweetening" what would be the best way as well as what to add to achieve this? Should i scrap the lactose? How will back sweeting effect my carbing while during bottling?

So here is the plan, im going to try a wyeast sweet mead yeast. as well as adding some lactose to the priming sugar when i get to that point (or should i add it before the fermentation? )

The Wyeast says it typically leaves like 1-3% sugar, which brings me to the lactose addition...... I keep reading 1 lb of lactose, but ive seen as much as .5lb or oz's for addition..... anyone have an idea on what is a good amount to achieve a slight sweetness, but not something like say a soda pop. Making this batch for the SWMBO and she would love to see something with a sweetness of say a hornsbys cider drink.

I would suggest 1/2# lactose at bottling. Lactose is partially fermentable, so the later you add it, the more of the sweetness you keep.

The recipe I am trying:
primary (10 days):
5 gallons apple juice
2# brown sugar
4# frozen mixed berries
Yeast (I am trying American Ale Yeast, just for fun)

secondary (2 week)

Kegging (2 weeks):
1/3 cup corn sugar
1/2# lactose

I say ferment to completion, including any aging or clearing you want to do. When everything is done, do the scientific thing. Everyone's tastes are different, so take a measured amount of your apfelwein, say 4oz or 8oz whatever. Add a measured amount of lactose to that, taste, repeat until you get your desired sweetness. Then its a simple calculation.

Xoz of sugar = Xoz of sugar
Xoz apfelwein 5 gallons

keep in mind 128 oz per gallon.

or you can add lactose to your sample till you get your sweetness. Then measure the SG, add lactose to your whole batch till you reach that desired SG.

Also if you don't like the taste of the Lactose, you could just do everything normal and then when you pour it from the bottle, just put a teaspoon of home made simple syrup in the glass before pouring in the apfelwien. You could use more or less to taste.

Back