Safale US-05 Question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EPS

Reaction score
I brewed a German Alt about 5 days ago. Fermentation is slowing down and krausen is starting 2 drop. On my past brews i have used liquid wyyeast with a starter. This time i was lazy and just got dry yeast US-05 and it was a bit cheaper. I have also been hearing good things about this US-05 on these forums and thought i would give it a try. My past brews i have usually kept in the primary for 3-4 weeks then bottled. I was reading some about leaving beer in primary and not racking to secondary today. And someone was saying they left a Brew sitting on this yeast in primary for 4 weeks and got a sour taste on finished product. Has anyone left a brew on this yeast in just primary for say 3-4 weeks and had any problems? Do you think i would benefit by just racking 2 a secondary after 8-10 days on this German Alt? Thanks for any help.

Oh and my OG was 1.052 and i pitched dry not rehydrated .

Unless you plan on dry-hopping, or need the fermentor, you don't NEED to secondary. I love US-05 because it is so versatile. That being said, still allow the 2-3 weeks of primary. Especially without a starter, the yeast needs time to work. Just relax and give it time and you will make beer. :ban:

US-05 is a beast. I pitch the packet straight into the wort. The only time I had an issue was with an OG of 1.091. I really wanted to see how far I could push only one packet. I got 68% attenuation. I would be completely comfortable pitching one packet up to 1.075. Mr. Malty suggests 1.2 11g packet at 1.075.

You won't need to secondary. No need, just added infection and oxidation risk.

I've used nothing but US05 for my last 12 batches or so. Most of those are using harvested, washed, repitched yeast...think I've bought 3 packs so far and have a quart of fresh slurry in the fridge now.

No issue with beer left on the yeast up to 4 weeks. No experience beyond that but I'd have no concerns. Seems to age just fine in the bottle and that's also on the yeast...

I agree it is a beast...just took my Wookey Jack clone attempt from 1.080 to 1.014, 81% attenuation, 9.2% ABV, let that one sit in primary 4 weeks and the grav sample at bottling was great. My recipe did include 8% table sugar to get that level of attenuation but I didn't do anything tricky (like adding the sugar after primary ferm slowed).

Yeast autolysis (ruptured yeast cells as a result of the dead cell's enzymes breaking down the cells) is really the only concern when leaving beer on a yeast cake long term, and there have been plenty of studies showing that autolysis processes do not occur below a certain pressure threshold that's only found in commerical-sized batches.

You can really leave the beer in primary pretty indefinitely, assuming the beer style benefits from the aging.

I love 05. Since I got my pipeline built up, I usually have my beer in primary for minimum of 3 weeks, sometimes 4, until a keg opens up and I have noticed no ill effects of keeping it on that long. If you ferment in the mid 60s, it's a very clean yeast.

05 and Notty are my go to dry yeasts. They are high attenuating, clean, and beast mode yeast. I love those little guys! I leave my brew in primary for 3-4 weeks all the time with no ill effects. I'd have no worries going another month or two if I had to.

Ya i usually ferment my Ale yeast between 62-64. I fermented this yeast at 64 F and pitched at around 68-70F. I usually buy wyyeast and make a starter. But have heard so many good things about this US-05 that i ordered up 6 packets of it. Pitched dry cause i was being lazy and it was only a 1.052 OG brew. I was just reading these forums like i always do and someone said that they were getting bad taste when leaving beer on this yeast for more then 2 weeks. So i got curious if anyone else had this happen to them. I was thinking that they must of had something else happen to there brew. To get off taste after just leaving it in the primary for more then 2 weeks. I usually leave all my beers that i'm not adding anything 2 in primary for 3-4 weeks then bottle. I have never had off taste.

I was just reading these forums like i always do and someone said that they were getting bad taste when leaving beer on this yeast for more then 2 weeks.

Yup, something else going on. I use S-05 on all of my APAs and IPAs, and routinely leave them in primary on the yeast cake for 4-6 weeks with no issues.

You'd be more likely to get off flavors by leaving beer on S-05 for LESS than 2 weeks.

Back