#25 Pump for Beer Transfer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NigeltheBold

Reaction score
I'm looking for a self-priming pump that can pump fermented beer from my basement to the first floor (about a 25ft lift). The beer will be non-carbonated and unfiltered. It'll be at around room temperature.

I saw this pump and wondered if it might work for beer. It's sold as a wine transfer pump, but maybe it would work for beer as well? What do you think?

I have one similar to that for wine that I've pumped wine from basement to the second floor with ease I never used it for beer tho since I only make 5 gallon batches I will get the specs of my pump to give you a reference

Mine is 1/2 horse power 3400 rpm I was using it to pump 55 gallon drums from truck to basement then from basement to where it needed to go. With beer I would be concerned about oxidation with it splashing into the receiving vessel.

helibrewer said:
I have the Morebeer wine transfer pump (~$150 I think) that I use for wine and beer. I haven't siphoned in ages.

Good to hear. I used for wine and juice glad to know it doesn't have any effects on the beer.

I think if I'm careful, I may be able to avoid oxidation. Keeping the end of the hose submerged once the receiving vessel starts to fill will help reduce splashing. And hopefully the pressure from the pump won't be too high after such a high climb from the basement.

Any suggestions on the type of pipe/tubing/hose to use?

just so you are aware- a "self priming" impeller pump is a pump which has an internal 'liquid resevoir' that the impeller sits in to get the flow started. this is not a desirable thing to have in a small volume food-transfer pump.

in a winery when you are transfering 200 gallons at a shot, wasting a few cups to this resevoir space isnt that big of a deal. but then you have to clean it out thoroughly, and if the pump is completely dry (empty), it is not self priming anymore.

Any suggestions on the type of pipe/tubing/hose to use?
what are you using this for?

Back