Thermapen Open Box Sale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The link did not work for me but I did by searching for "thermopen open box sale". I can't seem to get the link to work by copying it. Hope the $69 is the sale price, lol, because I got one. Been waiting for the right time and price.

Thanks for the tip
Mark

Bachhus said:
The link did not work for me but I did by searching for "thermopen open box sale". I can't seem to get the link to work by copying it. Hope the $69 is the sale price, lol, because I got one. Been waiting for the right time and price.

Thanks for the tip
Mark

Yes- that is the price I got- and i got one at the same price about 6 months ago.

I think I'd opt for one of these. Half the price, and calibration traceable to NIST. Nothing against the Thermopen, but I think this looks like the better instrument.

Impressive price for a traceable instrument. However, given the track record of the Thermapen, not only in this forum but throughout the cooking / baking community, I'll take it every time. Since going AG, it is one of the few sine qua non pieces of equipment I use......not to mention that I use it constantly in cooking and baking.

I bought my new model Thermapen at full price, and I've since bought two of the open box units for family members.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I'd opt for one of these. Half the price, and calibration traceable to NIST. Nothing against the Thermopen, but I think this looks like the better instrument.

That unit is made for Thomas Scientific by Control Co. and isn't near the quality of a Thermopen. Control Co imports these and private labels them for anyone that wants them.
I will bet that in a year or so you aren't happy with the lollipop. I have one, my company sells them too...

http://www.control3.com/4371p.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone think this would be worth it for use in a cooler mash tun?

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/alarm/oven_temp_timer.html

Had a buddy get one in a CL trade and just inserted the probe in his mash tun and screwed the lid right over the line. Constant temp monitoring without reopening the lid.

It isn't waterproof, there is a DIY guide on water proofing them. (steam from the mash will cause issues) If you are willing to drop the cash, they have a nice mini meter that can be used with a type k probe...which leads me to the next thing...you can get a long waterproof, food safe probe from them too that can work well.

I'd just drill a hole in the top of your mashtun lid, feed the wire in, and put a blanket around the top, so not heat will escape. It *might* be able to be allowed to be closed on the lid, I'm not sure, ask a sales rep.

Thanks! I managed to snag one, and get special shipping to canada! All for $88.

Cheers

Back