First test

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fish

Reaction score
This is what I did:

took a 1 gallon glass Santa Cruz cider jug and took out 3 cups of cider and put in a pot. To that I added:

1 pack frozen berries
1lb honey
2 c splenda
1 cin stick
3/4 T yeast nutrient
pinch spices
orange zest
1" of ginger cut

I put all of that back into the jug added 1/2 pack Montrachet yeast.

Is that going to work? OG was 1.077. How long will that take to be drinkable/rackable/bottleable?

Thanks

Sure, why not? Sounds good. It will probably take a month or so. You will know when it is super cloudy and a weird color, then clears and looks like before you started fermenting.

Well it is bubbling away. I have no idea how it will taste. I have a question does anyone use plastic gallon jugs for ferementors? I used the glass one that the juice came in and I used my dremel to grind a hole in the lid to put the bubbler in but would a plastic jug work? I am thinking about just the jug that juice comes in.

Thanks

Yes, it will work. It looks to folks around here like a teenager is trying to make hooch, but it will work. We don't like teens making hooch. Anything longer than a few months of time in the bottle and you want to consider glass, but yes, the juice bottle will work. Any container will work with widely varing results, and any airlocked contained will work okay.

Personally, I wouldn't try and ferment in the bottle the juice came in to save money. If you have a glass jug, use it. They are cheap at any LHBS.

That said, I actually do have a batch of Muscadine + Apple Cider brewing in a juice container right now. Why? I ran out of fermenters, found some Muscadines, and needed to do something with them before they went bad, because my freezer is full. Interestingly, I do my sourdough starters in juice containers, and I find that a slightly screwed on lid actually makes a decent airlock, if you squeeze it you will see. I learned that lesson AFTER one night when I forgot to burp a bottle and had a major sourdough explosion.

EDIT: Looks like you have some equipment already based on other stuff. Why not buy an extra jug and airlock (under $10 at my LHBS) for experiments. Saves you the risk factors with rigged equipment. Metal shards are not tasty.

Josh - I am curious what makes this look like a teenager making hooch?

Anytime anybody uses improvised equipment for small batches the question comes up...

EDIT: I should mention that I am not saying that YOU are a teenager making hooch. I can clearly tell you are not. I was merely noting that brewing in the juice bottles gives the image of the teen brewing hooch under their bed. As I said, I've actually got a small batch in just such a container...just not by choice.

I made Edworts Apple in juice bottles. For one reason, I wanted to try a small batch to see if I liked it. Also, I did not have an extra fermenter. I poured out maybe 6 ounces, used a large rubber stopper and an airlock. I made 3 gallons like that each about a week apart.

Nope I'm not underage but apparently I am just as classy :eek:

Nobody ever accused homebrewers, who often amuse their buddies with yeast-induced flatulence stories, of being particularly classy! ;)

I just tried it and it tastes really good - but it has a fake sugar taste. I have never tried SPLENDA before but I think I would pass on it next time and find another way to sweeten it. Live and learn I guess.

Back