Drip, drip, drip.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WarBac

Reaction score
Question or statement here. I made the mistake of hooking up my beer out line while force carbing at 35 psi. Almost all if my Apflewein dripped out in 24 hours. Do I have a leak? Or can the beer out line just not handle the pressure? I have not had any leakage at serving pressure 8-10 psi. Tough lesson learned either way.

you have a leak. I use my beer out line as a seal on the post/poppit (properly terminated, of course)

"Coming out it went drip drip drip, I didn't know she had the GI Joe kung fu grip!"

Where did the leak come from? The system SHOULD be able to hold pressure, but picnic taps are notoriously sucky. Faucets, (both perlick front-seating and regular rear-seating), seal better with pressure...(pressure forces it shut). Picnic taps seal worse with pressure, (they are made like a pressure relief valve on a keg....more pressure causes the seal to become LESS reliable....but the "leak pressure" varies from tap to tap depending on the strength of the spring).

Yes it's a picnic tap. I checked again and there are no leaks. Looks like it was dripping down from behind the tap and then down the hose. Lesson learned that I will not hook the beer out side up when force carbing. No problems at serving pressure. Thanks go the guidance.

I've had picnic taps that weren't screwed on all the way and they leaked also. You might want to screw the top on a bit harder just to make sure it didn't leak there.

Back