What do you get if you cross...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ISLAGI

1 beer short of a sixer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
...an oatmeal stout with a Hefeweizen?

A Darkle Whoat, I think....:confused:

So the recipe is:

5 lbs. Wheat Malt
5 lbs. MO
1 lb. Flaked Oats
8 oz. Chocolate Malt
0.75 ozs. Hallertauer @ 60
0.25 ozs. Hallertauer @ 10
12 ozs. Rice Hulls
1 tbsp 5.2 Mash Stabilizer

Ferment on WB-06 for 3 weeks @ ~70F

I chose the WB-06 because I read that the ester are somewhat subdued and I thought that might work nicely wit trying to add a little of the stout essence to it.

Any thoughts or comments?

Centurion Steer? The Roman centurions ate a lot of oatmeal to bulk up. ...and steer is sorta obvious.

That recipe sounds really intriguing. The WB-06 is an interesting yeast Ive used it a couple times. It gives a citrus flavor.

What is "MO" please. The hops seem light for a stout, no?

Sounds tasty though.

You know what I had recently that was pretty effin' outstanding?

A schwarz-weizen. Not sure the company that made it, it was a German import but I don't recall the brewery. Outstanding beer. Just a nice, German wheat beer with a very dark color and just a touch of the roastiness, like a schwarzbier.

Now, going to an outmeat stout, that's taking it to a whole other realm - but I'm happy to report that at least a little bit of dry roastiness can play well with a traditional wheat beer.

And yeah, I'd leave the hops on the low side. Let the main flavors of the wiezen and the roast be the main players, you don't want a lot of hoppage in there as well.

What is "MO" please. The hops seem light for a stout, no?

MO is Maris Otter, a British 2-row pale malt.

I did deliberately hop it lightly to let the other flavors come through. I didn't want any one note to dominate the flavor profile. Rather - as Bird said - let some of the roastiness come through to balance out the citrus notes that are present in a weizen.

Thanks for the feedback...:mug:

Just put it to bed in the basement.

I (of course) drank the sample jar and it was quite tasty. Temp was off a little bit so I ended up mashing @ 156 instead of 154. Might give it a little more mouth feel - like a stout - since I didn't add any crystal, other than the chocolate.

Watch this space in 3 weeks for an update when I bottle.

OK...so bottled today - 9 days later than planned. Got 56 bottles out of the batch.
Initial impressions.

I need to double check my thermometer. It said I mashed @ 156F but it felt kind of thin.

The esters are subtle, but noticeable. My first impression was an ESB that fermented too high. Ferm temps were around 72F.

I'll bump this in a couple weeks when I try the first one.

OK, so tried the first one tonight....Not bad at all.

First few sips, got the citrus taste from the WB06. After that they were more there as a bottom note. It is nice and light, with decent flavors.

Not a real thick head, just a thin solid layer of foam with some nice lacing on the glass.

Overall I would rate it as a good fall beer. Kind of transition from the summertime lawnmower beers into the winter stouts. Three thumbs up! :D

Interesting concoction there. That's what's great about homebrewing; you can do everything no one else does. Care to post a picture of this beer in action?

How much roastiness do you get from the chocolate malt? Is that what's keeping the citrus down, do you think? Do these two flavors play nicely together, or does one overpower the other?

Problem with uploading a picture. I'll post when resolved.

To answer the question, I think the roastiness probably helped subdue the citrus. I don't really notice the chocolate - except in the color. I would say they play well together.

It might be different if you used a different yeast. The WB-06 doesn't seem to have any strong clove/banana esters, so I like the marriage. If there was a strong ester presence (mainly the clove) I am guessing I would not like it as much.

Back