So I dont have a wort chiller...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I brewed my second batch today and i dont have a wort chiller. I thought it would be a good idea to do as much of a full volume boil as i could, until after i did it and realized i wouldnt be able to chill my wort quickly. right now its about 115'F. I put some ice in sanitized bags to get it to its current temp. Am i screwed on this batch? ive got more ice freezing but its going to take a little while. i covered my fermenter bucket so nothing can get in. Any tips would be appreciated, or just let me know if i f'd this one up.
Thanks.
:mug:

i should also note that i made a second rookie mistake of aerating my wort while it was still hot...i guess you dont learn without making mistakes

Yep, water + ice + 1/2 hour always does the trick for me. During this time I change the water out maybe 5 or 6 times. When I'm not sitting, I like the keep a lid on the pot, jsut so nothing unwanted floats in.

I don't have a chiller either so what I do is buy a gallon of the bottled spring water at the store and freeze the night before and then cut it out of the bottle and put it into the fermentor and then strain my wort onto it. Then I ad the remaining cold water to it. I usually get to about 75 to 78 degrees withing about 20 min after a full boil!

I use a 6-quart pot to make 2.5-gallon batches, so I don't have a wort chiller either.

Before I brew I refrigerate about 2 gallons of filtered water. I put a gallon or so into the fermenter, pour in my 3-4 quarts of wort, then top it off with more refrigerated water. Usually, I end up with about 2.5 gallons of wort at 75F or thereabouts within a minute of taking the wort off the stovetop.

I don't have a chiller either so what I do is buy a gallon of the bottled spring water at the store and freeze the night before and then cut it out of the bottle and put it into the fermentor and then strain my wort onto it. Then I ad the remaining cold water to it. I usually get to about 75 to 78 degrees withing about 20 min after a full boil!

What if instead of cutting out the ice, I sanitize the outside of the jugs and put them in the full volume wort to cool it? This is sort of what I was doing by putting ice in sanitized bags. I also discovered my digital Taylor thermometer was way off, i guess it needs calibration which is B.S. since i just got it a couple weeks ago. Thanks for the responses. My brew is bubbling/fermenting like crazy right now, I had to rig up a blow off set up cause my airlock was filling up with foam and hop debris.
:rockin:

I have two 6.5 gallon buckets(fermenter, bottling bucket), an auto siphon, 3 piece airlock, a bottle capper, that little bottle filling thing, and cleaning stuff. Is that what you were asking?

What if instead of cutting out the ice, I sanitize the outside of the jugs and put them in the full volume wort to cool it? This is sort of what I was doing by putting ice in sanitized bags.:

The problem is that plastic doesn't conduct well, but it's still a legit procedure.

Much better to chill it down in the brew kettle and then transfer to your fermenter. If your kettle fits in your sink, that's a great place to chill it at. I have a big double sink so I can fill one side with cold water and put the kettle in and stir and when that water gets warm, I fill the other side and transfer it over. Half a dozen trips and it's cooled to a point that my fridge-cold topup water will take it the rest of the way. When I brewed last Sunday, it hit exactly 63F when I hit my full volume after the top up. Sweeeet!

I looked at some of the home made wort chillers and I think I'll make one before my next batch. I guess I was just looking for an quick fix since I didnt think ahead. Thanks for the feedback and advice

It's important, so if your going to continue this hobby might as well get it out of the way. I progressed rather fast (in terms of buying equipment) because I knew I was going to do this my entire life.

Back