Boston Lager All Grain Recipe??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ewalk02

Reaction score
Alright I've searched the recipe section and all I could find were a few extract recipes and one that calls for decoction mashing (no thanks, not yet anyways). Does anyone out there have a good all grain recipe for Sam Adams Boston Lager?

I've got one, but since the batch is still carbonating, I am not sure how good it is yet. Let me know if you don't get anything else and I will dig up the one I used when I get home.

Greg

I've got one, but since the batch is still carbonating, I am not sure how good it is yet. Let me know if you don't get anything else and I will dig up the one I used when I get home.

Greg

I haven't found much so I'm very interested to see how your batch comes out and to find out the recipe.

Thanks

*****************.com/library/sam-adams-boston-lager-clone-brew-recipe-all-grain.htm

I used the recipe on this site for my extract clone and they have an all grain version as well. I like my extract version.

Loop

edit: wtf.....substitute b r e w e r s r o u n d t a b l e for the asterisks

Alright I've searched the recipe section and all I could find were a few extract recipes and one that calls for decoction mashing (no thanks, not yet anyways). Does anyone out there have a good all grain recipe for Sam Adams Boston Lager?

SIMPLE SAM ADAMS BOSTON LAGER

5.5 gallon recipe

9.5# Marris Otter
1# Crystal 40
.25# CaraMunich

Mash 60 Minutes around 149-150F. No Decoction needed.

60 Minute Boil. All hop additions timed from end of boil. During the 60-45 minute point of the boil before the first hop addition, skim as much of the hot break as you can.

Bittering:
2 oz Hallertau @ 45 minute mark,

Flavor/Aroma
.5 oz Hallertau and .5 oz Tettnang @ 10 minute, and add a teaspoon of irish moss at this time as well.

Aroma
.25 Tettanger @ 5 minutes

Flame out, chill wort near 50F and pitch yeast. Any lager yeast will do WLP840 or WLP830 is a good choice - make a big starter before hand.

At 14-15 days take the fermenter out of the lagerator and let it warm up over the next 2-3 days to diactyl rest and clean up.

Rack it to a secondary and dry hop it with 1.25 oz of Tettnang. ( <== important )

Put the secondary back into the lagerator @ 50F and turn the temp down 5 degrees everyday till you get to 35F. Then leave it alone to lager and pick up that Tettnang goodness from the dryhopping - the dry hopping is really what makes it so identifiable as a Sam Adams. Try and leave it alone for 6 weeks if you can wait that long, then keg it and enjoy.

Be aware of your expected efficiency and if your efficiency is typically get really good -- scale back on the grain so that you start with OG around 1.045, or else make a 6 gallon batch instead.

Keys to success: Start with the right gravity, Skim the hot break, Leave behind the cold break, Big starter with good lager yeast, don't rush the fermentation, and dry hop the hell out of it with the Tettnang in the secondary.

*****************.com/library/sam-adams-boston-lager-clone-brew-recipe-all-grain.htm

I used the recipe on this site for my extract clone and they have an all grain version as well. I like my extract version.

Loop

edit: wtf.....substitute b r e w e r s r o u n d t a b l e for the asterisks

I actually found that recipe earlier but its a decoction mash which I'm not ready to undertake quite yet. Thanks for the heads up though!

Back