Stronger beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zguy

Reaction score
So I just brewed my first beer last Sunday and tonight I noticed the bubbles had almost stopped. So I did what everyone on the forum has said (see I pay attention) and took a gravity reading NOT just go by the bubbles. Well I read 1.020 with my OG being 1.052. I think this is great for my first brew. After the reading I did what everyone says to do again. I drank it. It tasted ....well ... like beer. So I guess I did the job right. My only thing is the beer tasted pretty weak. Kinda watered down. Well I'm planning on moving to the secondary (when I take a secondary reading and it doesn't change of course), my question is has anyone noticed their beer get stronger after the secondary?

Thanks for the help guys

Carbonation gives the beer a lot of body. Once it's been bottled for a few weeks it will be completely different.

Well, you are currently looking at about a 4.2% ABV.

I would leave it in the primary for a while longer, and maybe skip the secondary all together. The longer it sits on the primary yeast cake, the better it will become.

Carbonation gives the beer a lot of body. Once it's been bottled for a few weeks it will be completely different.

This is most definitely true.

Well, you are currently looking at about a 4.2% ABV.

I would leave it in the primary for a while longer, and maybe skip the secondary all together. The longer it sits on the primary yeast cake, the better it will become.

Since it is your first brew, make your life a little simpler and skip secondary right now. Give it 3 weeks or so in primary and let the little yeasties do some housekeeping, then carefully rack to your bottling bucket and bottle. You will have great beer. Don't worry.
Don't forget the priming sugar when you bottle....

Since it is your first brew, make your life a little simpler and skip secondary right now. Give it 3 weeks or so in primary and let the little yeasties do some housekeeping, then carefully rack to your bottling bucket and bottle. You will have great beer. Don't worry.
Don't forget the priming sugar when you bottle....

Congratulations!
+1 to this. Also, please do not forget to let the beer bottle condition for at least 3 weeks. You may want to try one at week 1 and another at week 2 just to see how the process is changing the taste.
After 3 weeks, put one in the fridge for 24 hours and try that one. You'll see (taste) the difference in each one of these samples. You'll also find that the last beer is by far the best of the batch!

Back