Tomorrow I bury my best friend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surly

Reaction score
Hello

Earlier this week my best friend perished in a house fire. Tomorrow is his funeral.

This is a great time of the year to teach your children about smoke alarms.

Please spend a few minutes checking your alarms and teaching others about how to do so.

Sorry to hear about your buddy Gammon. My condolences.

Fire Safety is definately something many of us do not pay enough attention to. Not just smoke alarms, but having an evacuation plan, muster spot, etc...

I am sorry for your loss. My 8 year old just recently became a latchkey kid because of a new domestic situation. I thought about kidsnatchers and almost everything else. He's got a routine that he does when he comes home from school that he does really well with. Until now I didn't even think about a fire escape plan. Be sure that your warning does not go unheeded. This weekend I will go over the plan and reiterate everyday for the next few months and then a couple times a week after that because of your warning. Thank you

I want you to know how sorry I am for your loss. I'll check my smoke alarms tonight- I've been pretty lackadaisical about fire safety since my kids aren't little any more. Thank you so much for the reminder.

Wow.

I am a nerd for Fire Safety in the house. Pops used to do the spur of the moment fire drills with the stop watch bit. Got worse about it when an ancient light switch started an electrical fire in the walls.

In most jurisdictions a simple visit to your local firehouse will yield free basic smoke detectors. At least one should be placed just outside any sleeping rooms, one in any corridors. Look at the potential smoke progression paths as they might lead toward a bedroom and set a detector there.

Also, some studies have shown that a smoke detector placed on the header wall of a door is not ideal in that in some instances the collection of smoke may take some time to develope in areas like that. Ideally, one would read the installation instructions closely.

Additionally, it is worthwhile to keep fire extinguishers in the house. I keep several 5 & 10 lb ABC type fire extinguishers. 1 in the Kitchen, 1 near the fire place, 1 in the garage, 1 near the brew rig.. And a couple spares. Some Insurance carriers will even offer a $50 savings per extinguisher on your premiums.

Cheers and be safe.

Back