Washing primary and secondary.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geim32

Reaction score
I just finished up with my primary and ill be done with my secondary soon what's the best way to clean them after use so I can store them. I'm not sure if I should just rinse them with water and then use starsan or should I use soap and water. Thanks.

don't use regular dish soap as it coiuld leave a film/residue behind. Use PBW or Oxyclean Free and hot water. Rinse very well and the dry. Starsan should be used directly before you actually use the vessel as it's a sanitizer not a cleaner. Also, don't scrun them with anything that is abrasive as scratch's can be a cause of future infections.

Oxyclean free works as well- the kind without dyes and scents. However, PBW is better.

don't use regular dish soap as it coiuld leave a film/residue behind. Use PBW or Oxyclean Free and hot water. Rinse very well and the dry. Starsan should be used directly before you actually use the vessel as it's a sanitizer not a cleaner. Also, don't scrun them with anything that is abrasive as scratch's can be a cause of future infections.

Yup same here I actually use ChemiprOxi but it´s the same thing. Oxi for washing, and star san (man I love star san and is so hard to get here) rigth before you use it.

There are a lot of cleaners out there one-step, pbw, star-san. Never use soap and water. If your secondary is glass use a carboy brush to get the gunk off it, rinse it out with water and slosh around one-step or star-san. I use a soft sanitized sponge (used only for cleaning carboys) on my plastic carboys to get the sides and corners clean.

Before storage I don't get to crazy with it, I just want to get the corners, crevices and gunk out to prevent infection while it sits. I sanitize again before using it because I never know what baddies might have gotten in them while they sat there.

There are a lot of cleaners out there one-step, pbw, star-san. Never use soap and water. If your secondary is glass use a carboy brush to get the gunk off it, rinse it out with water and slosh around one-step or star-san. I use a soft sanitized sponge (used only for cleaning carboys) on my plastic carboys to get the sides and corners clean.

Before storage I don't get to crazy with it, I just want to get the corners, crevices and gunk out to prevent infection while it sits. I sanitize again before using it because I never know what baddies might have gotten in them while they sat there.

star san is a sanitizer not a cleaner, you have to clean first and then sanitize

I always rinse out my fermenters and carboys immediately, before the trub has time to solidify and get really stuck on. I just rinse with hot water, then give it a scrub with some PBW and the bottle brush to get off any stuck-on gunk. Then I leave it sitting upright for a couple of days to dry, then cover the neck with some foil to keep dust from getting in.

I think using StarSan before storing is unnecessary, since you're going to have to sanitize it again right before you use it next time anyway. As long as it's clean and dry, that's all you need.

Starsan will sanitize after cleaning for storage, but only until it dries so it is a waste to use it then.

Oxyclean soak, rinse well, store, sanitize, refill.

Starsan is expensive! I use a clean dish cloth and a little PBW. I dont scrub my bucket to hard to avoid making little scratches that bacteria could find and call home. Before I use it again another cleaning and Starsan right before the Wert goes in.

Star san is not expensive, filling a spray bottle cost you pennies and if you have soft water or use destilled or RO water that thing can last long. I think if a buy a gallon of it I wouldn´t need to buy more for the next 20 years.

Back