Formulating hop additions by oil contributed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattHollingsworth

Reaction score
Anybody ever do this with your hop additions? For instance, say you had two hops and you want to have one hop have half as much aroma contribution as the other. But one has 1.75 ml oil/ 100 g and one has 1.25. Instead of just saying add 8 g of one and 4 g of the other, has anybody bothered to calculate the oil contribution and do it that way?

As an example, let's take Hop A with 1.75 ml oil / 100 grams of hops. Say we added 8 grams. That should amount to .14 ml of oil total, right? So, say we want Hop B, which has 1.25 ml oil / 100 grams of hops, to be our secondary hop and have half as much influence. Instead of adding 4 grams, we'd want to achieve .07 ml of total oil (half of Hop A's number), which would get us 5.6 grams rounded up to 6 grams.

Thoughts? Anybody messing with this at all? Flawed logic? If one has a blown out Myrcene number, I suppose this could totally throw this off if the Myrcene is so high even in one with lower oils that it counterbalances the whole thing. What do you guys think?

(I know, just make the beer. But I have a lot of recipes I already have heavy notes on to see what hop amounts I like. So I'm not guessing with the hops I already know. Just trying to analyze these oils a bit. Curious, that's all.)

I'm slowly looking into this. At this point I've just been making note of my beers as I drink them and keeping track of the oil profiles. What I think would be fun is to design an oil profile, and then try several different hop combinations that have the same final oil profile. The only problem is, that unlike the AA%, I don't have access to this info. for the oils, only the typical ranges. Still, I think after this next IPA I might start messing with this.

It would be great to have a flavor/aroma calculator, like there is for IBU's. I think though the hop growers/middlemen would have tostart to doing hop lot assays for oil profiles, not just AA%.

Yeah, bummer is, some of the ranges are pretty wide. On oils, for instance, I see Cascades with .8 to 1.5 total oil, with Centennial with 1.5 to 2.3. Can't tell if you're getting them both at 1.5, Cascades at .8 and Centennials at 2.3 or what. So, that makes this all a guess.

But I've done the same thing. Make a lot of beers, use a lot of hops and take a lot of notes. I have lots of combinations I like and it's a lot of fun. But I also like just messing around with this stuff. Good fun.

Back