Passion fruit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thorsr

Reaction score
Hey,
If you read my presentation you know that I´m from Brasil. And though we have no mead/ amateur brew at all here, I have many possibilities in meadmaking as honeys, fruits, seeds, flowers, etc, untapped by you north hemisphere inhabitants.
One fruit that´s much more common here, and one of my favourites, is the passion fruit. We have many types and tastes, and also, passion fruit honey.

So, I´m thinking about making as my first serious mead a passion fruit one. Has anyone done it already? can you give me tips? What about combining a fruit with it´s honey, too much or brilliant? Tell me all, as I´m a beginer.

Ah, and I also don´t have access to decent yeasts, energizers. My last one was done with Fleischmanns and raisins. So please, if you know better or more adequate replacementes that I could find, such as fruits or more acessible chemicals, please tell me.

If you have pomegranate there it rocks.
If you use a bucket, I would recommend starting the mead at a lower SG, say 1.050 and getting it active (two days maybe), then in another pot add some water, more honey (enough to bring it up to 1.080) and a couple camden tablets, chop up the fruit or blend them and throw it in. Let it sit for 24 hours then add it to the active fermentation.
Then depending on your yeast, and desired FG and ABV, add more honey.
You got a lot of really great things there, just a warning on some things. Citric fruits can be REALLY strong when the sugar is fermented out, I made some Pineapple rocket fuel that was still really powerful after two years in bottles.
Please experiment in small 1 gallon / 4 liter batches until you get something you love, then make a larger batch and post your recipe here.

Got it![My bucket will arrive next week. I´ll update here with some pics when it´s done.

Your 1116 yeast does well with raw fruit. You shouldn't have any problem about that.

Neat. It will be some time till I get my hand on that yeast though. Ill keep the passion fruit for later.

Also, do you know if I should blend the passion fruit insides, as if I was making juice; or should I leave the whole seeds?(they will probably be a good nutrient).
And I´ll definetly add the pomegranates!

lol, sure you can, I´ll be my hero.
I´ll ship you a bottle of my finest (which at this point won´t be much).
for all you santa clauses my adress is (R Matheus grou 285 apto 152 pinheiros São Paulo-SP CEP 05415050 Brazil).

Reportedly, passion fruit seeds are edible. Whether you want them around is up to you.

They are, but the taste and texture are not that good. Maybe I could leave it then take it with a net on the end of the hose when I syphon it.

Good luck shipping any type of "foodstuffs" including fruits, seeds or alcohol across country borders. It won't happen less you get really really lucky. My fiance lived down in Sao Paulo for a couple of years while I was up here in the states, and even if I shipped her a box of chocolates or gift for her birthday...I had to ship it at least 3 months early...and there is never a guarantee it'll get there. It's crazy shipping anything to South America from here in the U.S.

oh crap.
Don´t worry guys, I have some friends travelling to europe and US this christmas Ill ask them.

Good news.
Besides that Lalvin K1116 I found a Nottinham and nutrient (don´t know which brand yet). Can you guys tell me what is Nottinham good for, and also, if any of these are good for mead (they are all in a beer makers site), and if yes, what they are good for.
S-04
S-23,
US-05,
T-58,
S-33 ,
WB-06

Back