How's this Sticke Alt look?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phissionkorps

Reaction score
Also my first AG. Going with the BIAB method for now, since I'm too broke to be buying coolers and an extra pot ATM. Between now and when I brew next week I'll figure out how to nail the mash temp a bit better. Got the pilsner malt double crushed since I'm expecting crap for efficiency.

6.50# German Pilsner
2.25# Munich light
0.75# Carapils
0.125# Crystal 120
0.125# black malt

All the hops are 06 crop, about 4% give or take after loss
2oz Spalt Select 90 mins
1oz Spalt Select 55 mins
1oz Spalt Select 22 mins

White Labs Koelsch

I'm going for the max of 60 IBUs.

So my questions:
1) good looking?
2) + melanoidin malt? If yes, how much....1/2#?

Looks good to me! What's the target OG? You have lagering capability right?

As for the Melanoidin... I'd say, in lieu of a decoction mash, it would be good. Don't know how much though. I never used it (I decoct). Also, what's your mash temp?

Target is 1.053. I just leave the windows open recently and my apt has been from about 55-70. If that isn't going to be good enough I can stick the carboy in the fridge since there isn't much in there ever. I shoot for 154, but sometimes it gets all over the place. I found out though that the pot I use holds in heat extremely well with a towel around it, I just need to make sure not to grossly overshoot the temp at first.

Brewed this tonight. I couldn't find my stick to see how much volume I had in the boil kettle so I just had to guess, and I ended up with .5 gallons too much. However, based on that, I got 68.6% efficiency. Not bad for my first AG. The ABV will be 0.7% too low for the style as is, unless I get good attenuation, so I'll probably have to add a lb of DME at some point. I think my problem was that I didn't have enough water during the mash since I kind of overestimated the size of my pot.

Sounds like a success. What was your OG? I wouldn't worry too much about adding DME for the the 0.7% ABV... unless the beer is too bitter with that 60 IBUs. If your bitterness ratio (total IBUs/last two digits OG) is too high, it might be good to add.

It was 1.044. The only reason I'd be adding the DME to bump that up is to stay within style guidelines. I don't think sticke alt is a category yet, but I based it on the guidelines for Duesseldorf alt.

Back