American Porter Robust Porter - 531 Brew Haus- 1st Place 2009 HBT BJCP Comp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let me revive this thread....people that have brewed this> did you use the original hop bill...cascade, tettnang and galena? Those don't seem to be traditional porter hops?

Thanks for the bump. Need to re-brew this, later, for Winter 2015 drinking. A heavy (but delicious) porter doesn't sound good now. Lawnmower beer time!

I brewed this but screwed up on the black malts (my two year old helped) and got way too much. After 6 mounths you can't even tell. I used centineal to bitter and cascade for finishing. It's good, as long a you don't over do the hop Imo it's fine.

Let me revive this thread....people that have brewed this> did you use the original hop bill...cascade, tettnang and galena? Those don't seem to be traditional porter hops?

On a re-brew (vs the original winning recipe for which we had to post the recipe), I would drop Galena for sure, and sub with what hops I had laying around at that point to get the right IBU for the 60 min add. When I made it I had a lot of Galena. The hops aren't crucial at 60 min here. I like Tett & Cascade and usually have them in stock.
I would also, for ease, probably try a dry english yeast.

Brewing this...anyone have a yeast recommendation that they've tried with this? Have a few but I'm just spit balling. TIA!

Back