Do you throw away the wort used for hydrometer readings?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I sanitize the hydrometer & testing tube before taking the sample. Take reading for OG then dump it back in. After that,FG samples get tasted to see how things are going. Never had an infection yet when sanitizing first. I also spray Starsan up into the spout on my fermenters' spigots.

I used to throw it back in. Some say its no big deal, others are adament against it.

if u sanitize ur thief/hydrometer correctly u shouldn't have to worry about infection if u dump it back. But now I use a refractometer when testing gravities to determine OG and stability of FG. I only use a hydrometer once after its been stable on the refractometer for a few days to get an accurate FG reading so i don't use alot of wort prior to that point.

Drink it to check flavor or toss

Don't add it back in its an infection risk

I drink it. Good way to track how the flavor of the wort changes. Putting it back in the fermentor risks contamination.

Yup,as long as the hydrometer & tube are clean & sanitized,there's little or no worry of infection. I've been doing it for a while,& no problems ever. But that's only with the OG sample.

Pre-boil readings: it goes back in the kettle and boiled.

Post-boil- drink or dump it. I don't want to spend time cleaning & sanitizing the hydrometer & cylinder just to throw 4 lousy ounces back in and risk ruining 5 gallons.

..., others are adament against it.
Understatement of the year! Mention you toss your samples back on these forums and you won't be able to post a question about printing labels without everyone insisting your problem comes directly from tossing your samples back!
if ur sanitize ur thief/hydrometer correctly u shouldn't have to worry about infection if u dump it back.

Nitpick. You need to sanitize your thief whether you dump the sample back or not.

Also tasting and dumping back aren't mutually exclusive. A sample is between 4 sips to 1/2 a beer so there's enough for both. (Provided you pour your taste into a glass and don't drink straight for the hydrometer jar, of course.)

P I don't want to spend time cleaning & sanitizing the hydrometer & cylinder just to throw 4 lousy ounces back in and risk ruining 5 gallons.

One feels differently when one does 2 or 1 gallon batches.

I take a sip and toss (or let guests who are curious drink) OG samples. I usually drink anything after that to taste how it's coming along, since most of my beers I've made enough that I can tell by taste and aroma at the various points how it's going to come out compared to previous batches.

Drink it. It's kinda like cooking food, you don't know what you're making unless you taste it. If your final gravity is on, but the beer doesn't taste right, you may want to dry hop or let it condition longer.

I drink a sip or two, then toss it. No sense in possibly introducing something to the brew by dumping it back in.

Add me to the list of those that drink the hydrometer sample. I like tracking how the flavor changes at each stage of the process.

After FG checking I return it to the priming bucket but only AFTER every bottle is filled except one. That way, IF there's any contamination then only one bottle is affected. Not once have my beers been infected.

I mix iodophor at 1.5 strength, sanitize everything for 5 minutes, then take/check the sample. I may pour a very small amount to taste, but I add the rest back to the fermenter. I do not enjoy the fast of flat beer. At all. I also hate waste.

A bit OT, but why mix at 1.5?

Considering the intended usage of the product I'd wager there is a safety margin already built in at the recommended ratio.

Since switching to all grain, I've just upped my batches to 6 gallons. This leaves me plenty of beer to be able to taste the sample, then just toss what's left out. I'm sure I'm fine with sanitation, but I just would rather not worry about it. It's worth the piece of mind to just toss it, for me. Then, I don't feel like I'm getting shorted beer from trub loss, etc as it always gives me at least a solid 5 gallons going into the keg.

I drink it. It's like 2.5 ounces, and it's not worth pouring back.

I take only one sample once fermentation starts, and then decide to package or do something else (like dryhop, let it sit, etc). I've never missed the couple of ounces in the finished bottles.

I sanitize the turkey baster that I use to pull samples, but never sanitize the test jar or hydrometer.

I drink it. Even for the OG. The thing I learned most in college above all else was to not waste beer. That stuck with me more than calculus or physics or thermodynamics or . . . ;)

If it's 5 gallons, I taste and dump, If its one gallon, I sanitize and add it back

Only sanitize the thief and never toss it back in. If i've been drinking which i usually have i'll drink the whole sample...its not as bad as whats left in the bottling bucket when youre done

logan3825 said:
It isn't technically beer until it ferments a bit so the OG sample is not yet beer.

Do what victory does and make ice cream out of it (or add it to a batch). Not sure how the hop flavor will go, but it's a good sub for sugar.

Back