No krausen on ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charliesmith1979

Reaction score
Hey all,

Just brewed my second batch on Saturday night, racer 5 IPA clone, and 48 hours later no krausen forming. I know patience is needed but with first batch, I had some at least 24 hours in. Any ideas?

Well, clarify a few things first. Are you seeing no bubbling in the airlock at all?

1. Are you sure the yeast was viable before pitching it? (made a starter or the smack pack swelled).
2. Was the wort temp to hot when you pitched?
3. What is the temp of the beer now?

scratchy1971 said:
Well, clarify a few things first. Are you seeing no bubbling in the airlock at all?

1. Are you sure the yeast was viable before pitching it? (made a starter or the smack pack swelled).
2. Was the wort temp to hot when you pitched?
3. What is the temp of the beer now?

Yes yeast was viable before pitching. Pitched at 75 degrees per instructions on yeast.

First 24 hours was stable at 70 as well and last 24 hours was between 64-68.

Yes yeast was viable before pitching. Pitched at 75 degrees per instructions on yeast.

First 24 hours was stable at 70 as well and last 24 hours was between 64-68.

Ahh... usually you want to do it the other way around. Start low an let it slowly raise in temp. Some of your yeast might have settled on the bottom. I would still leave it alone though

Waiting is the hardest. Easier with bottled batch but ill do a gravity reading in a week and see where it's at.

Airlock was active for first 24 then nada.

Should be ok. Are you fermenting in glass(I assume so since you say no krausen), or bucket? Most will say with a bucket it can just be a tiny leak to keep airlock activity at bay. If in glass, how long are you watching before you say there is no activity?
If your beer is that warm, a lot of your fermentation happens in the first day or two.
If in glass, how has the color changed? Mine always seem to get several shades lighter for a couple days before the yeast begin to separate out.
Mostly these are questions just to compare. Odds are good that if you had a day where you had noticeable fermentation, then you are fine.

4 days for krausen to form! RDWHAHB for sure. I hope by fifth batch I can relax :) thanks for all input!

Latest posts

Back