One week since primary fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NativeSun

Reaction score
It's been one week since I cooled off the wort and I have done 2 hydrometer readings, yesterday and today. I plan on taking one more reading tomorrow and let it sit for another week before bottling it. Right now the hydrometer is reading 1.250. Am I on the right track?

1.25 sounds like it would be jello so i think you may have written it wrong or read it wrong. If your readings are consistent then you can bottle. if not let it go for a while more and retest. 1.025 sounds a bit high of a FG but I don't know what your making or how your making it.

What is the beer and what was the OG? And what is cooling off the wort?

I'm probably reading my meter wrong. It's two notches under the 20, which is below the 1.000. How do you read that?

I'm making a Irish red ale for my first brew, but I'm a gallon short of a 5 gallon recipe.

I'm not sure what OG or FG means yet..beer brew noob here.

I don't know how your hydrometer is set up but it sounds like you are at 1.024 or 1.022.

OG= Original Gravity
FG= Final Gravity

You should take a specific gravity reading after boil and before fermentation this is your OG. After fermentation gives you the FG. This also helps you calculate ABV.

Also when asking this sort of question it is good to give the recipe info.

OG = original gravity, which is the reading on your wort when you first brew it. FG = final gravity, which is the reading on your finished beer when it's done fermenting. A FG of 1.025 for a red ale is a little on the malty sweet side. I can think of a few possibilities why this has occurred. The first is, you're using a partial mash kit (or all grain) and let the mash temperature get away from you. 145*f to 155*f is the usual range for a soak/mash on your grains. Be strict on holding these temperatures as higher temps during this phase of your brewing will extract a lot more unfermentables from your grain.
The second issue may be related to your water volume. During your boil phase, did you add back any water due to evaporation or wort loss? You will lose some water during your boil and you might lose a good bit of wort due to water absorption in grains and trub (hops debris). Topping off your concentrated wort with pre-boiled water or bottled water can thin it out back to normal levels.

Third, you may have used a lot of adjunct grains to give it that copper red color. Adjunct grains contribute a lot of unfermentables to your beer, leaving it malty and sweet. When you design your recipes, try to use the minimal amount of adjunct grains to give the beer the characteristics you want (color, flavor, etc.) and let the majority of the sugars come from the base malt.

It could also be your yeast. Using old yeast will require that you make a starter to get to proper pitching amounts. Always check your dates on your yeast bottles/packs and buy fresh yeast if it came from a kit. Also, use proper pitching amounts, which is usually two to three bottles/packets of yeast for a 5 gallon batch for low gravity beers (more for high gravity). Using yeast with "high attenuation" characteristics can also help bring down the final gravity, as can using yeast nutrients and proper oxygenation of the wort.

Thanks for all the feedback..I've been keeping notes on the things I do and all your input will help me on my next batch.

I do remember specifically Watching the temp at 155-160f during my steeping.

I did not get an OG reading bc of my rookie experience. Totally forgot about that. As well as topping off to 5 gallons after brewing. It'll prob taste sweet bc I did not water it enough.

Oh well all things to remember for my happy holiday ale!!

Thanks for all the feedback..I've been keeping notes on the things I do and all your input will help me on my next batch.

I do remember specifically Watching the temp at 155-160f during my steeping.

I did not get an OG reading bc of my rookie experience. Totally forgot about that. As well as topping off to 5 gallons after brewing. It'll prob taste sweet bc I did not water it enough.

Oh well all things to remember for my happy holiday ale!!

So this was an extract batch with steeped grains............

Whatever the OG was listed as for the recipe is what your OG was as it is pretty hard to miss it unless you totally screwed up on the volumes of wart and water. You are misreading your hydrometer. If the number is two notches below the 20 then it is reading 1.022-1.024 depending on whether each notch is 1 or 2 points.

At one week the beer is still a little young to do anything with IMO. I recommend you take another reading and if the gravity has not moved at all then it is done fermenting and you should add an additional week or two for the beer to sit and clear, then package:)

Cheers!

I just tested my wort again and for the 3rd day in a row it's reading..... 1.024. I will let it sit for another week before I add the sugar and bottle it.

Back