eBIAB Brewers: Basket or No Basket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Basket or No Basket for Recirculating eBIAB?

• I use the stock basket.

• I modified the stock basket.

• I constructed a basket.

• I don't bother with a basket and just use the bag.

Results are only viewable after voting.

jeffmeh

Reaction score
With all the eBIAB experience out there at this point, I would be very interested in understanding how well various basket configurations have worked out, particularly when recirculating during the mash. Do you use the standard basket, did you modify or construct one, or did you abandon it and just use the bag? If you could describe your reasoning, and the specifics of your implementation, that would be great.

I modified mine by enlarging as many holes as I could. It still doesn't flow as well as I'd like but better than stock. I just use the valve to regulate the flow. I won't stop using the basket because, for me, it simplifies handling the grain after mash.
I have gotten my hands on some 1/2" heavy duty stainless mesh that I am going to use to modify the basket even more. It should be practically free flowing when I get that done. I will still be using the bag of course.

I do split batches on a stove and dont use a basket. I tried using baskets but found that they made it difficult to keep temp standardized throughout my pots.

I am planning to make a ebiab setup and dont plan to use a basket. I just dont see the point since the voile can easily hold the weight, besides it being another thing to wash.

I am planning to make a ebiab setup and dont plan to use a basket. I just dont see the point since the voile can easily hold the weight, besides it being another thing to wash.

Plus 1, I have several pots w/ baskets and have never used a basket for brewing, i just don't see the advantage as the bag can easily hold the grain, I guess less is more for me.

I have also given up the mash out for BIAB and have not missed it FWIW.

I modified mine by enlarging as many holes as I could. It still doesn't flow as well as I'd like but better than stock. I just use the valve to regulate the flow. I won't stop using the basket because, for me, it simplifies handling the grain after mash.
I have gotten my hands on some 1/2" heavy duty stainless mesh that I am going to use to modify the basket even more. It should be practically free flowing when I get that done. I will still be using the bag of course.

I'm still debating on the basket. They are expensive when purchased separately, but there isn't much price difference between comparable Bayou Classic kettles with or without the basket.

But I do agree with Blake; the basket makes it much easier to handle the grain. Although, using a bag that is tapered and that has straps sewn in along the opening might be less apt to make a mess.

1. are y'all recirculating during mash in order to maintain temps?

2. even though folks say that the ULWD elements won't burn the bag, are y'all using some kind of false bottom or screen over the element?

3. could the problem some face with recirculation with the basket be due to trying to pump too fast? I wouldn't think you'd need much flow.

4. I have a theory why the basket slows down draining so much - regardless of how big the holes are - but I don't have any way to prove it right now: a freely hanging bag of wet grains is stretched a little such that the tiny holes in the mesh expand slightly, perhaps, allowing liquid to flow more freely. If the bag is supported in the basket, there is no stretching of the mesh, so flow thru the bag is much slower. I guess this theory only applies when lifting the bag, not during a mash.

Thanks,
Keith

The one bit of caution that I would add is that if you put the bag right on the element you need to be careful not to create air pockets. If you do, your element will pop, regardless of whether it is hd or ulwd. I have blown two elements this way.

I have used the std baskey that came with my fryer kit for every BIAB batch (maybe 20?). I do it for a couple of main reasons. It keeps the bag off the bottom of the kettle so I can direct fire to add heat if necessary. I always mash out for an extra 5-10% efficiency so this is a must. Also it makes draining the bag so easy. I suspend the basket with a rope/pulley from the garage ceiling. Squeeze the bag with a sauce pan lid to get most of the sugar out of the grain. Super easy.

solbes and fall-line: Do you recirculate during the mash? The biggest complaint around using the basket seems to be that it doesn't allow sufficient flow to recirculate.

I'm on propane, use a bag with no basket, have a circular cooling rack on the bottom to keep the bag from direct contact, and do not recirculate.

As I see it currently regarding using the basket:

Pros - Makes it easier to handle the mash, provides a "stand-off" from the bottom of the kettle (although that is easily accomplished in other ways)

Cons - Impedes flow for recirculation, adds another item to clean

Reasonable summary?

I stir in thoroughly for the first few minutes. Otherwise I only stir every 15 minutes or so during the mash (no recirc). I don't believe the basket impedes the mash conversion process at all. Yes it does add another item to clean, and mine is aluminum so oxy is a no-no. I clean out my kettle and basket with just a tad of soap. If I don't get it squeaky clean its not a biggie as the wort is boiled anyway. Just want to make sure the soap is all rinsed out.

I didn't vote, but thought I'd add my two cents anyway.

I used to use a basket (without recirculating) and have lately just been using the bag. I have been more consistent as far as efficiency goes (not sure why) without a basket. I was about to get a pump and controller to do the whole recirculation thing because I was having trouble maintaining the mash temp for 90 minutes. I ultimately decided that simpler was better and just went down to a 60 minute mash, which hurts my efficiency slightly, but my beers are turning out much more in line with what I intend as far as FG goes (seems like the thin mash for 90 minutes was just a bit too fermentable and my beers were often lacking body/tasting thin). I still direct fire without the basket, I just hold the bag up when adding heat to maintain mash temp or for mashout.

When I was doing 10 gallon BIAB batches a basket made things much easier on my back...but I mostly do 5 gallon batches these days.

I don't use a basket right now with my propane setup. When I convert to electric I plan to chop up my basket and make a guard out of it so the bag doesn't rest on the element.

I have an eBIAB setup in my keggle, so no basket for me.. Has anyone found one that works well in a keggle? i cant imagine fitting a basket in a keggle on top of heating elements without 12g of water in there or so.

I'm on propane, use a bag with no basket, have a circular cooling rack on the bottom to keep the bag from direct contact, and do not recirculate.
Propane still as well. Trying to work out exactly what I want and need on a eBIAB system.

I do the same thing as you but with a steamer rack to keep bag off the bottom of the pot. I haven't measured, but I would say it keeps it about 4 inches off of the bottom.

thumb1_steamerrack.jpg

I can not use my chugger pump at full throttle as it will drain it from the bottom to fast.

I have been using a spring clamp to slow it down.

Very ghetto I know, but it works.

ghetto_brewtree_480x640_-52165.jpg

I now have a ball valve on the out put of the pump to further control things better, but haven't brewed with it yet.

I want to use a basket as I think it will make things easier and cleaner (less spilling etc).

Chris

Back