Cider OG question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lcooper72

Reaction score
S I made my first cider this weekend, it is all juice, with no extra fermentables. I broke my hydrometer while preparing the cider, and I am just wondering what range should I expect for an OG? So I can at least ballpark an ABV.

S I made my first cider this weekend, it is all juice, with no extra fermentables. I broke my hydrometer while preparing the cider, and I am just wondering what range should I expect for an OG? So I can at least ballpark an ABV.

1.051 to 1.060 would be a good bet.

1.050 last Tuesday when I pitched the yeast
3.5 gal. Fresh pressed juice
1 gal d.I. water and 2 lbs. Dark brown sugar
Going to do 3 weeks primary
2 weeks secondary
Bottle wait a week then pasteurize.
I'll post the s.g.'s as they come in...

I have been getting my cider right from the orchard. In the past 2 years, I have had O.G. readings of 1.050 with the occasional "sweeter" batch reading 1.055. This year I am getting readings of 1.065.

I have been getting my cider right from the orchard. In the past 2 years, I have had O.G. readings of 1.050 with the occasional "sweeter" batch reading 1.055. This year I am getting readings of 1.065.

I had the same experience this year in central MI. Our apples were all imported because of the freeze....not sure where they came from.

I had the same experience this year in central MI. Our apples were all imported because of the freeze....not sure where they came from.

I asked the person from the orchard today. They lost most of thier crop, but thier neighbor did not have a big loss. So they are getting thier apples from the orchard a couple of miles down the road.
I think that the reason that we are seeing such high O.G. readings is due to the lack of rain & excessive heat this summer. (less water = more sugar) I'm not an expert in this area,it's just a theory. Maybe I'm way off base on this one (it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong, just ask my wife:cross:)

The last 2 batches i made had an OG of 1.050

Back