New Zealand Brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NZLunchie said:
Yeah I did the same with my first Epic Clone and I still got a massive amount of cloud. The difference this time is an immersion chiller, hops, Koppafloc instead of Irish Moss and I've got with US-05 instead of Wyeast....

I'll hopefully get the blog updated on the day so keep an eye out :)

Mine is a beautiful red colour from the 80 I used. Hops haven't come though as much as I'd hoped but a nice drink non the less. 2 bottles to the competition to get feedback

Brewed and fermenting as we speak.
Overshot the OG in a big way. Was supposed to be 1.059 but I got 1.072, so efficiency is higher than I expected. Means it no longer fits in the APA category, but more of an IPA. Smell during boil was amazing with the Cascade and Motueka combination......I'll get the blog updated at some stage today :)

Shipping my entries soon!

r5ltqgnh.qkv.jpg

Yeah it's similar to an American sweet potato ale but with smoke and dark malts. My brewing partner went over to see Luke at epic and brought around a few beers for him to try. He thought the kumara and 'choc chip' beers were really good.

Yeah it's similar to an American sweet potato ale but with smoke and dark malts. My brewing partner went over to see Luke at epic and brought around a few beers for him to try. He thought the kumara and 'choc chip' beers were really good.

Keen to share the recipe for the Kumera Sucker?

4.6 kg pale malt
0.5 kg crystal
300 g chocolate malt
140 g heavy smoked malt
2 kg of mashed kumara (in the boil)

Used Pacific Jade for bittering and Pacifica for Aroma (I think 20 grams each)

4.6 kg pale malt
0.5 kg crystal
300 g chocolate malt
140 g heavy smoked malt
2 kg of mashed kumara (in the boil)

Used Pacific Jade for bittering and Pacifica for Aroma (I think 20 grams each)

Sweet thanks :)
Any particular type of kumera and what literage we looking at?

Not really... I just used the purple type. Was for a 5 gal batch. The smoke is a little bit overpowering at first but after a couple of weeks in the bottle it's smoothed out. Can try just using normal smoke if you want. I used a little less of the heavy stuff in the second batch.

Hey guys, another Auckland brewer here just popping in to say Hi!

Welcome, ll the way from CHCH :)

So, update. I was bored on the weekend, and don't have the capacity to maintain a constant heat for a second fermenter, however I saw the gunslingers graf, and thought bugger it. so i did it , except i used the black rock miners stout kit (I was goingto use your Tui recipe Lunchie) with another black LME, up to 10 litres for it, plus some additional hops. 20grams cascade, 10 grams willamette, and about 5 grams of tettnanger.
threw it in with 10 litre of fresh up crisp apple juice and 2 packets of us-05.
OG was 1.070, pretty high, and tastes a bit tangy... from the apple juice.

if you search on here: gunslinger, you'll find it.

Its an experiment so time will tell, leaving it in primary for 3 weeks, and then i'll rack to secondary, depending on EQC and let it age.

Doing this one has made me wonder about snakebites/diesels. thoughts?

I've seen and thought about doing the Graff thing a fair bit, but never have.

I've bottled my American Pale Ale, made an bottled a Stout and threw together a Black Rock cider for Christmas. Hopefully the APA is as good as I think it is and it becomes my house ale.

I've got one more APA to go for Christmas and then I'll think about playing around with some ideas.

Home brewing is all about experiments right!
If you do go for the Tui recipe let me know how it turns out! I'm well and truly moved on from the kits but I still wouldn't mind knowing how it goes.

I've seen and thought about doing the Graff thing a fair bit, but never have.

I've bottled my American Pale Ale, made an bottled a Stout and threw together a Black Rock cider for Christmas. Hopefully the APA is as good as I think it is and it becomes my house ale.

I've got one more APA to go for Christmas and then I'll think about playing around with some ideas.

Home brewing is all about experiments right!
If you do go for the Tui recipe let me know how it turns out! I'm well and truly moved on from the kits but I still wouldn't mind knowing how it goes.
I'll let you know how it turns out on the graf side of things.Send a bottle my way :) I'll be sure to give you a good idea, of how good it is ... lol. "TUI: I'll swap you for a Graf, Yeah Right" lol

Oh and Lunchie, My All Grain has some teething problems, but I'm working on it :). just water volumes, otherwise its all looking pretty good :), Next Up Boysenbeer.

As a separate question: what do you lot do wqith your trub at the bottom of the kettle, do you pour it all into the fermenter, or do you rack off the top with a siphone, to keep things clear? generally things settle out when cooling, but i've been getting alot of the trub in there recently., which clogs things up a little bit sometimes.
Its more an experiment to see if it even works.

I'll let you know how it turns out on the graf side of things.Send a bottle my way :) I'll be sure to give you a good idea, of how good it is ... lol. "TUI: I'll swap you for a Graf, Yeah Right" lol

Oh and Lunchie, My All Grain has some teething problems, but I'm working on it :). just water volumes, otherwise its all looking pretty good :), Next Up Boysenbeer.

As a separate question: what do you lot do wqith your trub at the bottom of the kettle, do you pour it all into the fermenter, or do you rack off the top with a siphone, to keep things clear? generally things settle out when cooling, but i've been getting alot of the trub in there recently., which clogs things up a little bit sometimes.
Its more an experiment to see if it even works.

Yeah could do a swap around of some beers.......

Good work on the AG, once you hit it on the head you won't want to look back! I'm hitting at least 80% efficiency with my setup and thats BIAB!

With the trub, depending on the style of beer, it all goes in. If I'm looking for a clearer beer, then I'll leave maybe 1 or 2 litres in the pot. I use hops bags now as well, which reduces the hop matter in the kettle and fermenter. Definitely worth it

Yeah could do a swap around of some beers.......

Good work on the AG, once you hit it on the head you won't want to look back! I'm hitting at least 80% efficiency with my setup and thats BIAB!

With the trub, depending on the style of beer, it all goes in. If I'm looking for a clearer beer, then I'll leave maybe 1 or 2 litres in the pot. I use hops bags now as well, which reduces the hop matter in the kettle and fermenter. Definitely worth it

Should probably look into hop Bags, to reduce that sorta stuff. Any recommendations for where i can get them from? I've used panyhose in the past.
I've been told to cool by a couple of guys, then whirlpool. and leave to sit for 30 mins then auto siphon out. transfer the remainder into a jug and let it settle out. i think that'll be the best start for now, if i want clearer beer, i'll start using hop bags, might hop bag when i dry hop from now on though... pantyhose to start with, until i get proper stuff.

Should probably look into hop Bags, to reduce that sorta stuff. Any recommendations for where i can get them from? I've used panyhose in the past.
I've been told to cool by a couple of guys, then whirlpool. and leave to sit for 30 mins then auto siphon out. transfer the remainder into a jug and let it settle out. i think that'll be the best start for now, if i want clearer beer, i'll start using hop bags, might hop bag when i dry hop from now on though... pantyhose to start with, until i get proper stuff.

Bunnings, Mitre10, Placemakers. I'm just using muslin cloth cut as required.
I've found Golden Promise is a terrible grain for trub, a HEAP of crap left the last time I did the APA. Might just depend on the grain.

I'm using Koppafloc to and its magical stuff. Within 5 mins of being in the fermenter the trub has settled.

33 bottles of Black Rock Cider done.
They reckon 5 weeks, hopefully its fully carbed by then!

Anyone have any luck at the SOBA NHC?

33 bottles of Black Rock Cider done.
They reckon 5 weeks, hopefully its fully carbed by then!

Anyone have any luck at the SOBA NHC?

Nice Work. Fruit beer went down last night, after a long day bottling and brewing... I broke my hydrometer which didn't help so I don't know how my efficiency was. I also tried the recommendation of getting rid of the trub from the kettle. Cool, then whirlpool (I justy used my spoon to get it really moving) then leave for about 20-30mins and auto siphon off into the fermenter til you start getting the crap in there. If you con't have enough, you recover it by pouring it all into a bottle, putting it in the fridge and settling it out, then adding the next morning. I'll tell you what it worked a treat, it adds half an hour or so onto the day, but with the amount of trub in the fermenter now, it was totally worth it!!!

Bottled my ESB, which was my first AG. I'm happy, taste wise. i missed my volumes by 6 litres and OG by 3 points. 1.048 instead of 1.051 got down to 1.010 with wyeast 1028 London ale.

So, in one week, i'll be racking my fruit beer onto boysenberries for half and I'm toying with the idea of actually putting the other half with pineapple and coconut....??!?!:drunk: then in another week I'll be bottling, along with my graf i think, seeing as I'll be going to Oz the week after, so get it all cleared up before then. that'll be 3 weeks primary for my graf.

Had some good fortune in the NHC, no prizes, but i got 27/50, which was above average for my Cascadian Pale Ale. Flavour for 8/20 for appearance 3/3, which i was pretty happy with some improvement to be had, but that'll come next year, when i finish my brewshed...

I meant to say... I got way way closer to my target volumes this time, and after leaving over night and letting it all settle, the trub in the bottom is at least half as much maybe more!!! Which to me means more beer in the fermenter, not significant, but i might get another bottle out of it? I'l let you know how much it affects the cleanliness of the beer...

Mashing in my Rhubarb Saison now, gone old school using the stop top since its a little baby (15L).
Check me out on Twitter @jfran009 for live updates :D

Dammit Lunchie :)!
I see you targetted that Orange Pale Ale Recipe, which I also have earmarked... lol let me know how it turns out, despite your little hiccup. I'm kkeen to do this in the new year, once Christmas is all out of the way.

Racking tonight onto my boysenberries and blueberries, I flagged the pineapple plan at this stage. Pureed and sitting on campden tablets now.
Photos to follow...

Mashing in my Rhubarb Saison now, gone old school using the stop top since its a little baby (15L).
Check me out on Twitter @jfran009 for live updates :D

Gidday Lunchie, despite my login I'm a complete brewing virgin! After making a pizza oven for a mate, and building a tandoor oven for home I thought I would have a crack at brewing. Never one to walk before I can run I'm going All-Grain from the get-go. I can't get enough of Epic Pale Ale and am looking at that as my first brew. Do you recommend the EPA or your AAA version? The brew shop I will use (in Albany - I'm in Whangaparaoa) doesn't have the Golden Promise malt ... where can I get some from? Cheers.

Dammit Lunchie :)!
I see you targetted that Orange Pale Ale Recipe, which I also have earmarked... lol let me know how it turns out, despite your little hiccup. I'm kkeen to do this in the new year, once Christmas is all out of the way.

Racking tonight onto my boysenberries and blueberries, I flagged the pineapple plan at this stage. Pureed and sitting on campden tablets now.
Photos to follow...

Yeah bro, it'll be beer at the end of the day aye, so no worries. It smelt amazing when I threw it all in the fermenter. I also used random oranges I had in the fruit bowl, no idea what they were. But yeah man I'll let you know how it goes :ban:

I've got the rhubarb in the freezer, I cut it, washed it and threw it in the freezer, so hope that's enough to get rid of any goobies on it, if not, I might have my first sour beer :cross:

Gidday Lunchie, despite my login I'm a complete brewing virgin! After making a pizza oven for a mate, and building a tandoor oven for home I thought I would have a crack at brewing. Never one to walk before I can run I'm going All-Grain from the get-go. I can't get enough of Epic Pale Ale and am looking at that as my first brew. Do you recommend the EPA or your AAA version? The brew shop I will use (in Albany - I'm in Whangaparaoa) doesn't have the Golden Promise malt ... where can I get some from? Cheers.

Hey Mac, welcome to the madness :) First off, good choice on the Epic Pale Ale choice. Top beer IMHO! As for the recipe, I'd recommend my third attempt and by far the greatest beer I've made, if I do say so myself, the ManawaBrew Pale Ale. It uses the same malt base as the Epic Pale Ale clone, but I threw Cascade and Motueka at it. If you want the recipe, let me know and I'll chuck it up.

Personally, I'd experiment. If you can do two batches one following the clone to a T and the other, just play. I like lots of aroma and flavour so I through more hops in during the boil from 15mins - 0min and dry hop it more than the clone says. Personal preference.

As for the Golden Promise, I use The Brew House in Wellington. Brilliant service and their crush seems to be bang on. I've got above 70% in the last two brews and the 2 I did before that I got into the 80% and that's BIAB!!!

:off:
Anyone noticed that Black Rock have some recipe's on their website? More than they had when I started brewing thats for sure!

Hi all

I do both kits and small batch all grain brewing. Does anyone know of a good grain mill or might have some input for a design that will work? I want to crush my own grain, it is way too expensive to buy the already chrushed at my regular vendor (Hauraki, in Albany).

And on a side note, anyone going to any interestin homwbrew festivals/gatherings?

Does any of you Auckland brewers know anything about the water around the North Shore or Auckland in general? how hard, chlorine/cloramine, mineral composition etc.

I contacted the local water guy, turns out he is "Auckland" water guy too.

I take the report and ad a twinch of gypsum to get a perfect 5.4 in my small batch (6L).
I guess its triall and error to get it spot on.

Saison, meet Rhubarb:
A73j_NTCcAAJZE8.jpg

Ghetto cold crash, thanks to Crusader:
A73kQ-sCEAA41e-.jpg

Orange Cascade Pale Ale on the right, Rhubarb Saison on the left:
A73kfWlCYAAzckY.jpg

Saison, meet Rhubarb:
A73j_NTCcAAJZE8.jpg

Ghetto cold crash, thanks to Crusader:
A73kQ-sCEAA41e-.jpg

Orange Cascade Pale Ale on the right, Rhubarb Saison on the left:
A73kfWlCYAAzckY.jpg

Hahaha, I can't takle all the credit lunchie. Looking good though. how does the orange taste, once i get it all set upo, i'm going to split a batch of it, and go half pale ale and half saison.

GFruit beer is starting to look good,taste is still not there yet, lovely red/purple colours on both the blue berry one and the boysenberry one.

the rhubarb thing is interesting though...:fro:

Hahaha, I can't takle all the credit lunchie. Looking good though. how does the orange taste, once i get it all set upo, i'm going to split a batch of it, and go half pale ale and half saison.

GFruit beer is starting to look good,taste is still not there yet, lovely red/purple colours on both the blue berry one and the boysenberry one.

the rhubarb thing is interesting though...:fro:

Lol, credit is all yours, you told me about it ;)
Not as orange and coriander as I thought it would. There is a slight spicy note right at the end, so I guess the coriander is there, just not as much as I thought. All good though, its still a good drop so far!

Yeah the rhubarb is a massive experiment. If it works I think I'll look at a rhubarb crumble recipe. Be a seasonal beer, maybe make it in the summer for the winter....Be nice on a cold day!!!

Lol, credit is all yours, you told me about it ;)
Not as orange and coriander as I thought it would. There is a slight spicy note right at the end, so I guess the coriander is there, just not as much as I thought. All good though, its still a good drop so far!

Yeah the rhubarb is a massive experiment. If it works I think I'll look at a rhubarb crumble recipe. Be a seasonal beer, maybe make it in the summer for the winter....Be nice on a cold day!!!

How Long are u leaving it on the rhubarb? I personally wouldn't leave it in there too long?

whaty you guys make of this? I';m doing a brown ale... all NZ Hops, Nelson and Motueka, quite fitting considering whrre i'll be spending my new years, lol.

4kg Pale Malt
0.5kg wheat
0.31kg biscuit
0.25kg pale chocolate (300L)
0.25kg pale crystal (50L)
0.2kg medium crystal (80L)
50g Carafa II (550L)
Choc and Carafa will be added at 10mins left in mash.
YEAST: US-05 x 2 packs most likely
1tsp Irish moss @ 10 mins
Forthe hops I'm going all later additions, no bittering, as withthe amount, I should come up around 45-50IBU
for the boil its ratio of 2:1 Motueka:Nelson Sauvin
20g Motueka @ 30
10g Nelson @ 30
20g Motueka @ 15
10g Nelson @ 15
30g Motueka @ 5
15g Nelson @ 5
then its a ratio of 3:1 Motueka:Sauvin
40g Motueka @ FO
13-14g Nelson @FO
DryHop1: 45g Motueka @ 10 days, 15g Nelson @10 days
Dryhop2: 45g Motueka @ 5 Days, 15g Nelson @ 5 Days
any feed back would be good, as I'll be gettingthis done after my trip to Oz.

How Long are u leaving it on the rhubarb? I personally wouldn't leave it in there too long?

5 days then I'll taste and see how it is. I'm not to worried if it goes bad, I'll just make it into a sour beer :cross:

whaty you guys make of this? I';m doing a brown ale... all NZ Hops, Nelson and Motueka, quite fitting considering whrre i'll be spending my new years, lol.

4kg Pale Malt
0.5kg wheat
0.31kg biscuit
0.25kg pale chocolate (300L)
0.25kg pale crystal (50L)
0.2kg medium crystal (80L)
50g Carafa II (550L)
Choc and Carafa will be added at 10mins left in mash.
YEAST: US-05 x 2 packs most likely
1tsp Irish moss @ 10 mins
Forthe hops I'm going all later additions, no bittering, as withthe amount, I should come up around 45-50IBU
for the boil its ratio of 2:1 Motueka:Nelson Sauvin
20g Motueka @ 30
10g Nelson @ 30
20g Motueka @ 15
10g Nelson @ 15
30g Motueka @ 5
15g Nelson @ 5
then its a ratio of 3:1 Motueka:Sauvin
40g Motueka @ FO
13-14g Nelson @FO
DryHop1: 45g Motueka @ 10 days, 15g Nelson @10 days
Dryhop2: 45g Motueka @ 5 Days, 15g Nelson @ 5 Days
any feed back would be good, as I'll be gettingthis done after my trip to Oz.

I'm not a huge fan of NS, but you had me Motueka. By far my favourite hop!! I'd throw more in it if I was you :drunk:

Back