AHS - Shiner Bock Clone - Live From Memphis, TN

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WillyWonka71

Reaction score
Good morning all,

Greetings from the most jacked up city in America! :p

Sunday I started my first Austin Home brew kit and I decided on doing the Shiner Clone. I have read these forums many times and I just wanted to thank each and every one of you for the advice found EVERYWHERE within these "walls".

Your advice and suggestions are incredible especially to a newbie like me.

Right now I have my ferment-er sitting in my guest bathroom tub (without water of course) and it is holding at around 24C. (Bout 72 to 74F).

The sulfur smell (fart smell) was a tad bit strong (not overwhelming by any means) but I have read that is perfectly normal and will dissipate after fermentation and with bottle conditioning.

I plan on leaving this in the Primary for 2 weeks. I am completely new to this since I have only done Cooper's kits with fairly good results but I am ready to graduate in order to put on my big boy pants.

I will keep you updated on my progress. I am using the White Labs WLP833 for my yeast. Right now the beer is looking ok but it has only been 2 days.

Thanks all and happy Tuesday to you!

Take care and suggestions and advice are more than welcomed!

-WillyWonka71 :mug:

The yeast you are using is a lager yeast, which means it should be fermented down in the 48-55 range. You may very well be getting some off flavors developing, which unfortunately may not mellow out as much as you think. Here is the link for the yeast strain

Oh man! thank you so much! I will try the T-Shirt method when I get home to cool this guy down. Thank you so much for the heads up.

I will keep you posted!

Thanks again twistr25

-WillyWonka71

Update:

I was able to purchase a plastic round tub (the type with ropes on the side) and froze a case of bottled water. While the bottled water was freezing, I placed two bags of ice (not opened) around the fermenter in order to drop the temps. This worked extremely well.
I used the frozen bottles this morning before I left for work to keep the temps lowered and I removed the ice.

My question is that I had my temps at 72F for a little over a day and a half. (I did not know I was supposed to ferment at a lower temp DOH!! :drunk:). Could the off flavors already be affected (as twistr25 stated above) and by bring down the temp could that "shock" or affect my beer in a negative way?

I just want to make sure I am doing what I can to save this batch. Everything seems to look and now "smell" ok. I noticed this morning that the "fart" smell was no longer there.

Any suggestions or comments would be most helpful.

Thanks!

-WillyWonka71

Two days at those temps will probably have some off flavors with a lager yeast,but I would just keep it cool at this point and let it ride.Let it be a learning experience as it will still be beer.

Ugh! Thank you BrewerBear. I was afraid of that but I will certainly do what I can to keep it cool as not to bring anything else bad to the brew. I appreciate your input.

Live and learn I guess.

Thanks again, :mug:

WillyWonka71

Back