Outa of the Primary, in to a 3rd fermentor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumbaa

I prefer 23383
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
OK I got the Blueberry wheat going, first ferment went great then added about 2 pounds of dried bluederrys to the 2ndary. The blue berrys not only turned it a rich purple color (no biggie) but started a whole nother fermentaion. I never thought about all the sugar that was in them little shrivled up suckers.

With everything going on around here I havent had time to deal much with bottling or anything so tonight I am gonna get that smoked ale into bottles finally, but I'm thinking now I should I maybe rack that blueberry wheet into a 3rd fermetor just to let it settle out some? The second fermentation wast a vigours one but if did bubble pretty good for about 3 days. All the blue berrys are floating on the top now kinda like a krausen would but there is no krausen in the 2ndary.

Whatchya think? I'm guessing there are probably some chunkys floating in there but cant really see anything but what can it hurt right? Why not take it off the yeast cake and put in in a 3rd carboy?

Suggestions?

Most dried fruit runs 60-80% sugar. If it was a stout or porter, I'd bottle after two weeks in the secondary. Since it's a wheat, I'd rake it to another carboy after two weeks and bottle after a week in the 3rd.

I'm hoping to do a blueberry ale next summer, didn't have many berries this year.

Pumbaa said:
OK I got the Blueberry wheat going, first ferment went great then added about 2 pounds of dried bluederrys to the 2ndary. The blueberrys not only turned it a rich purple color...
I'd would go to a tertiary if your intent is to allow the berries to fall out and to clear the beer some more. Were they the frozen kind?

I'd also be interested in a picture or two. You can email them to me @ [email protected].

Thanks.

I dunno if they were freeze dried if thats what ya mean but they looked like blueberry rasins.

Dont tell the wife but I'll become a supporter tonight then just upload some pictures to the site :rolleyes:

every now and again you need to RISE UP against SWMBO . . . FIGHT THE POWER . . . just hope she dont catch me for a while . . . dunno if I can outrun her with this cold I got

Here ya go

DSCN0360.JPG

DSCN0358.JPG

you are allowed to keep the carboy in the kitchen!!!!!

none of my brewing stuff is allowed out of the man cave!!! :D

i'd definately rack that puppy a third time.

you are allowed to keep the carboy in the kitchen!!!!!

Actually I keep them in a spare bathroom we never use off the kitchen to keep them in the dark, but most of my other stuff is in the cornor of the kitchen. The kitchen is my place . . . she only cooks when I am at work (by my choice) or when I am tired of cooking (I'm the firehouse cook as well).

I get the kitchen, basement and garage, the rest of the house is her's . . .but to be honest when it comes to decorating I let her have veto power in the kitchen. Garage and basement are my domain alone . . . MU HAHAHAHAHA . . . yet I'm the one who has to park on the driveway.
:drunk:

Garage and basement are my domain alone . . . MU HAHAHAHAHA . . . yet I'm the one who has to park on the driveway

we're in the same boat then... upstairs i am merely physical labor to move the furnature around...

Just a update . . .

Finally tasted one of these and HOLY CRAP!!! it turned out fantastic.Imagine a good wheat ale with just a afterthought of blueberry pie . . .

Excuse me gonna go touch myself now and maybe have another :drunk:

Definetly gonna be making A LOT more of this one

Wow, I never realized the dehydrated fruit would give much....if any flavor.

Where did you get the dried blueberries?

Back