new from Iowa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaron1100us

Reaction score
I love beer. Had thought about home brewing but didn't know anything about it. I visited my Cousin in Colorado a few weeks ago. He has been brewing for years and has a nice set up. He gave me some ideas on what to get. Next month, my Wife is getting me the delux starter set from Northern Brewer. I just planted some Cascade Rhizomes and have some various orthe hops seeds I'm going to plant. Won't be ready till next summer but figured it would be good to plant now. Also ordered a 5 gallon SS stock pot.

What do you suggest? Northern Brewer had a IPA kit that looked good. Not sure what it was exactly.

I'd go ahead and do a couple extract batches to get started.

NB kits are good. The Dead Ringer is a Two Hearted Ale clone and a nice beer.

The Denny's Rye Smile is also delicious.

NB kits are good. The Dead Ringer is a Two Hearted Ale clone and a nice beer.

The Denny's Rye Smile is also delicious.

I have the Dead Ringer in my primary now! Love me some IPA's

Welcome to the addi... uh... I mean hobby!:ban:

+1 on that! Starting with extracts gives you a great chance to really nail down the SUPER important parts of homebrewing. Sanitation is #1, also good to practice transfering from one vessel to another without contamination or oxidation. I personally feel that these two things are the most important things to learn before you start introducing all the variables in All Grain that new brewers tend to worry about. Once you're comfortable with extracts, AG will come easy.:rockin:

Greetings from another Iowan! Don't forget if you live in south central Iowa, Urbandale has a LHBS called Beer Crazy for all of your home brewing needs.

Back