Your go-to spring time beer style/recipe is...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

niceguybille

Reaction score
Say a local brewery was putting on an open competition where the winning beer would be released as that breweries spring release. The beer can be any style and the only real limitations are high gravity and sour beers. If you were going to enter, what would be your go-to style?

I'm trying to approach this from every angle but mainly I'm curious what the consensus is on a good spring time beer.

6 Lbs pilsner LME
1 oz of each:
tettnang
spalt
saaz
hersbrucker
hallertauer

split into equal portions @ 60, 20, 5, dry hop.
2124 bohemian lager
ferment until hitting terminal, d-rest and lager a month.

That simple.

Light bodied, clean bittered IPA. Probably around 6.5% abv and ~60 ibus. I'd say for my personal preference to use Centennial/Cascade/Amarillo, but that's just me. I like the floral/citrus flavors when the days start getting warmer. I also like them all other times of the year, but I feel like spring and IPAs just go together.

E.S.B.

Edit: I wonder why the board wouldn't let me post that in all caps until I added this extra text...?

Oh yeah, great suggestions!

Bock was one of my initial ideas but after learning that a doppelbock is on the verge of being released from them I thought I might loose on default, despite what kind of beer it was. Personally I like hoppy and have taken to adding a lot of big late additions to my pales and IPAs but apparently they aren't able to whirlpool and I'm not too familiar with their ability to dry hop either. I know this may sound strange and unconventional but I just want to focus on a good spring style that won't get nixed because of a lack of equipment or skills on the brewery's part.

One option I'm currently thinking is a hoppy session drinker (stone levitation-style) as well as a lighter session pilsner style. They have a great successful kolsh so no sense in aiming to close in that direction.

Thanks for the suggestions, keep 'em coming!

Back