What size stir bar for 2000 ml flask?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a good vortex going in my 2L flask with a 1-3/8 to 1-1/2" stir bar. The longer/larger the bar, the lower the rpm's need to be to create the vortex. I have a 2" bar to use with my 3L flask.

What size stir bar for 2000 ml flask?

Pretty much any stir bar will work OK with a 2 liter flask. IMO, the best choice for a stir bar is one that is well matched to your particular stir plate. IMO, bigger is generally better. I've been successfully using the 2" stir bars for a long time, but I recently tested a couple of 3" bars and I like those even better. The larger bars do a better job of stirring at lower speeds. It's not critical though. You only need to keep the wort moving to get the job done. You don't need and probably don't want a huge vortex that reaches to the bottom of the flask. Probably the best choice for size would be the largest bar that won't easily be thrown.

Back