late night brew session

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milesvdustin

Reaction score
So after a "trying" night at work, I came home pissed off. Swmbo asked if she could do anything for me. She got me a beer then suggested that we brew. I told her it would be a late night if we brewed. She said she didn't mind staying up. I guess she knows one of the best ways to take my mind off work.

Just mashed in my all grain snpa clone at 11:15 pm!

Wow, you just mashed in at 11:15? I thought I have had some late brew nights. I hope you don't have to work tomorrow!

I work second shift and have done a couple brews after work. I also just did 2 beers back to back last Sunday that ran till 4:00AM. You'll sleep good, just try to keep focused near the end as you get tired you can forget things like whirlflock of late hop additions.

Brew On!

All of my hops and whirlfloc, nutrient, all that stuff is in bowls with the times on paper in them. And I do work tomorrow, at 3 pm! I am planning on brewing tomorrow morning and two more batches this weekend!

I am in the Marines and I'm headed to quantico Virginia for 7 weeks for training next week. I want four beers to age in primary while I'm gone. That and the two batches of Apfelwein I made yesterday. Should make for some great Brews!

TGFK! (Thank goodness for kegging)

Just got the sparge water into my hlt cooler and I am about to run first runnings.

I use a ten gallon round cooler for mlt and one for hlt. I am going electric soon with 50 amp service with a 2000w rims tube and a 4500w boil kettle. That way I can be recirculating through the rims during mash and heat the sparge water in the kettle. Then I will pump to the hlt to hold until I need the water for mashout. And the Bk will be empty by then so I can run off into there and start boiling.

That sounds like a great plan. Have some nice beers all ready to keg or bottle when you get back from training. Very nice!

Good luck with the electric system. I just set my Herms up a few months ago and I love it.

Oh I already have an Irish red ale and a different pale ale just Kegged last weekend. Those should be outstanding come June when I get back. This is like super pipeline stocking this week.

I can't wait to go electric, this propane stuff is for the birds. I hope my neighbors don't think I'm testing jet engines tonight or something!

I brew on the back porch. Tons of light and a hose right on the house. Plus, no worries about ventilation.

The boil has begun!

And thank you Aussiebrewer and sweety11, I appreciate it.

Oh, Swmbo hit the rack before the boil even started lol!

Boil is complete, wort chilled and on its way to the fermenter as I type. Not bad for a brew night, just over four hours with setup and everything.

Sweet. Latest I've finished was around 9:30pm w/ cleanup. Bottled a 5 gal batch starting at around 2pm, started steeping grains for first batch around 3pm, started steeping for second batch around 5:30pm.

I'm going to bed finally, its nearing 4am here. I got 4.5 gallons of wort into my fermenter, Damn pellet hops. Never can quite get a whirlpool to make a trub cone. Final gravity into the better bottle was 1.053, my Target was 1.050. I had an 80% mash efficiency and I use a 1/2" stainless braid. Thanks for helping me stay awake!

Now, gotta get a few winks so I can fire the burner again around nine thirty or so. There's beer that needs making!

I never could keep them out before either. Last batch I put the end of my cane into the paint strainer bag I use for BIAB almost no pellet hop gunk or cold break junk into primary. Only lost about a cups worth of fluid too. Just had to shake the primary a bit more for oxegenization.

Gotta tell ya. You have one heck of a SWMBO.
My SWMBO would remind me how much she hates her job and medical issues making me feel like a jerk for complaining about.....anything.

Hope your beer comes out well. You could call it "near-midnight rendezvous"

I will try the strainer bag on the next batch. my brew this morning got postponed because I had to come in to work for a brief unexpectedly. I will just tackle it again tonight.

Love it! I did a few brews through the night. Started a few at 2am and finished cleaning up and pitching yeast around 630.

Back