Forgot to clean my pots.....Crap!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewagentjay

Reaction score
So I forgot to clean my pots after last brew. So one of my pots is has a nice growth of mold going on. It has been hot as he!! here in bama so that stuff is wow. So now for my questions:

1) anyone else do this?
2) cleaning methods?

Basically, just like any noobie I need to some advice and the brew fairy to come down put a nice beer under my pillow and note that says everything is gonna be alright.

:mug:

Seriously I plan to oxiclean then bleach then oxiclean the he!! out that thang. Just curiuos what other routes I could go as I hate to loose a pot.

Seriously I plan to oxiclean then bleach then oxiclean the he!! out that thang. Just curiuos what other routes I could go as I hate to loose a pot.

Don't put bleach in a stainless pot. It will pit the steel and cause corrosion.

Just soak it in oxiclean, scrub it with a kitchen scrubby, and then boil some oxiclean in it if you are still not comfortable.

A little bar keepers friend will also make them look real nice. The oxi soak and boils should get ride of anything. I would be more worried about the equipment that you will use on the cool side of the brewing process. Your boil will take care of anything on the hot side. How are your hoses, fitting, fermenters? Be sure to get those too. I know when I 'forget' to clean, I 'foget' those things as well.

Yeah it was a small over sight I made. I have made it in the past with no issue but it wasn't hitting around a 100% outside.

I got some great mold or something going on. Perhaps I need to take some pictures first.

So I'll oxiclean and oxiclean and boil oxiclean it see what happens.

I had my other things soaking in santizer and then cleaned them up like a day later. The pot was out in the garage. So out of sight out of mind............

Ha! Been there. I discovered a pot of cooked oat groats on the stove. GF was down for the weekend and the pot had probably been sitting since Friday. What can I say, we were busy.

Sour mash anyone?

Last brewday I missed a bucket that had whole hops that I had strained out. Oh, hops and a bunch of fruit flies...

Oxi soak for a day and it came right out, mold and all.

it happens.........I guess.

Do we need a "I forgot to clean xxx and I got this!" pic thread.

I wouldn't worry much...scrub it down, then PBW or oxiclean, possibly starsan and then go...you are boiling in it for like an hour after all, most everything will be killed. Just the same, I would pull apart the fittings, ball valves, and such and make sure they were good and clean.

So I forgot to clean my pots after last brew. So one of my pots is has a nice growth of mold going on. It has been hot as he!! here in bama so that stuff is wow. So now for my questions:

1) anyone else do this?
2) cleaning methods?

Basically, just like any noobie I need to some advice and the brew fairy to come down put a nice beer under my pillow and note that says everything is gonna be alright.

:mug:

Chit happens Bro. Clean it like the others suggested and you will be good to go but nix the bleach.

i just did the same thing that is why i was on here to see what to do about it. you beat me to the post. i was just trying to get to bed on brew day it was after 1 am when i finely pitched the yeast. my question is my ic was sitting in the pot as well. ( i store it in the pot to save space) and thats is why i thought is was clean. is it the same process with the copper ic?? or should i clean that diffrently??

hah, I leave my BK for days sometimes after a boil....(I always seem to be boiling on a weekend when we have plans that night, and SWMBO is rushing my butt out the door with barely enough time for me to get the wort chilled and yeast pitched....

Who cares? They are pots...you boil in them. I personally just discovered how awesome a pressure washer can be for nearly everything....I just blast everything out and don't worry.

Who cares? They are pots...you boil in them. I personally just discovered how awesome a pressure washer can be for nearly everything....I just blast everything out and don't worry.

I just pictured 1600psi water being sprayed up my nose while cleaning. I also just thought, cotton candy wand the fluff and boil.....:rockin:

Going to oxiclean the heck out of them and all my equipment. See what I got.

When can I use bleach and when can I not?

None of my current pots are stainless steel, I use turkey fryer pots 7.5 gallon ones. I think they are Aluminium.

I have all my brewing stuff spoons, plastic paddle, test tub, hydro, etc soaking in oxi since last night. I'll do another so on it and start soaking my pots and mash tun this eveing. I plan on brewing Sunday. I want to ensure no infections.

Back