Woo Hoo--lager !!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAS98M

Reaction score
Just racked a extract brew Munich lager to secondary-been in primary since 1-16,S.G. was 1.049,I think this starting S.G.was a little low-just checked and is at 1.010,couldn't help drinkin' the sample and boy howdy what a brew--great taste,great feel in the mouth,fantastic color,even a little buzz from the small amount.I can't wait for the secondary to be done to add the sugar and bottle this stuff.I do have a small amount of particulate in suspension but expect that to settle out during the secondary.... Well with the turn-out of this batch I think I'm hooked ! I'm in the process of putting together all the makings of an A.G. system-HLT(keggle),Mash tun and brew pot(keggle #2) I have all the grain,hops and yeast for the first A.G. ale batch that'll be boiled this week end but think I may order and do another batch of this stuff-It's freeakin tasty,and I'm pretty proud of the outcome . Now I gotta work on a digi-cam and pics of all this fun stuff so all can see what I'm up to. Just thought I'd also thank everyone here for not keeping all the tips and tricks to themselves . It's forums like this that get us all started and keep us going. Thanks, Shane

Iowa,It was an extract brew kit that the wife acquired somewhere online(homebrew heaven) I think. I didn't weigh the ingredients or save any packages the ingred.'s came in. sorry. Shane
p.s. try Homebrew heaven maybe they can convert it out for you.

IowaStateFan said:
Congrats. Can you post the recipe? I'm looking to do a good Munich lager. I really love that style, but haven't been able to brew anything good.

Thanks.

Are you looking to do a dunkel. I recently made one of those that was quite good if you want that recipe?

mjm76 said:
Are you looking to do a dunkel. I recently made one of those that was quite good if you want that recipe?
Actually, my most recently finished batch is a dunkel that I got from Papazian's book. It's actually pretty good, but I prefer a helles. Drank a ton of them last summer when I was in Bavaria and really fell in love with them. Haven't found any good commercial examples here in the states and the couple I've tried to brew have left me underwhelmed.

IowaStateFan said:
Actually, my most recently finished batch is a dunkel that I got from Papazian's book. It's actually pretty good, but I prefer a helles. Drank a ton of them last summer when I was in Bavaria and really fell in love with them. Haven't found any good commercial examples here in the states and the couple I've tried to brew have left me underwhelmed.

It should be relatively simple to duplicate, extract will be a little darker than an AG but it would still taste the same. I would try something like.

6.6# light extract (or extra light)
.5# carapils

probably 1 oz hallertau 60
1/4 hallertau 30
1/4 hallertau 10

some kind of german lager yeast (wyeast southern german lager yeast)

Comos said:
i want the recipe.

Comos I apologize for the delay in response: the recipe I used was as follows:

6 lbs amber LME
1 lb light DME

1/2 lb caramunich
4oz. Carafa II (get dehusked variety from midwest for best results)
4oz carapils

1 oz Perle hops at 60 min

1/2 tsp Irish Moss at 10 min

Any German lager yeast will work

Hope that works out for you

Back