Drinking of sediment from bottles...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What happens when you drink bottle sediment

• No effect

• Look out below!

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

dibby33

Reaction score
I have heard and read varying experience with drinking the sediment along with the beer. This ranges from having to sit on the toilet for a good long time to it being benifitial for your health!
Can you please help me put this to rest!:)

orfy said:
Do a search on yeast extract, people pay a lot in the health store for it as a supplement.

Eek. What about Vegemite / Marmite / Bovril and the other yeurghy brown stuff that people like to have on toast and make into hot drinks? Would this give you 'jelly belly' also :D
The yeast in these would be dead I suppose, not like that at the bottom of the bottle.

...voting so far indicates that 2 to 1 in favour of the toilet stop ;)

I've actually tried an experiment in which I drank several of my Blue Moon White clones being very careful to decant the beer off of the yeast sediment. Next day, no issues other than the occasional ducks walking through the room. Two days later, I drank several right from the bottle right down to the last drop. A bit of a twangy taste at the bottom, but not unpleasant. Next day, still no issues other than those darn ducks. I suppose it may be a volume issue and I may have to refine my procedures to include larger quantities and also the inclusion of different food groups to the mix. This may be a very very long term experiment.

"But honey, it's a science experiment for posterity!"

Hopfan said:
I've actually tried an experiment in which I drank several of my Blue Moon White clones being very careful to decant the beer off of the yeast sediment. Next day, no issues other than the occasional ducks walking through the room. Two days later, I drank several right from the bottle right down to the last drop. A bit of a twangy taste at the bottom, but not unpleasant. Next day, still no issues other than those darn ducks. I suppose it may be a volume issue and I may have to refine my procedures to include larger quantities and also the inclusion of different food groups to the mix. This may be a very very long term experiment.

"But honey, it's a science experiment for posterity!"

I like the way that you are thinking. :rockin:

I don't drink ALL the sediment in the bottom- but I have done it sometimes. If I use a really flocculant yeast, it stays put in the bottom but if it's a different type of yeast, it "floats around' near the bottom. I don't worry about it. I notice no effects.

You guys have me paranoid that I shouldn't serve homebrew to my friends. When they come over, they all drink my beer and lots of it. Do I need to warn them about possible side effects? I think not.....you drink free beer, you accept the risk.

Lorena

In the love of science I shall step up to the mark. I have a lot of beers ready to drink now which are bottled straight from primary and are now between 1 month and 5 months old. One of each type (long necks) should do it. I am using a secondary now and this state of affairs will not happen again ;)

Plan :
Friday night : Drink without sediment
Saturday night : Drink with sediment

Going to be a tough weekend but somebody has to do it. Will refrain from curries for a couple of days to keep the control subject (i.e. me) clean from any possible contaminations...

of course, I may have to repeat the experiement in reverse the following weekend (or should that be weak-end) in case the actual volume has an effect as it is about 24 cans of beer in two days.
:drunk::mug::drunk:

lorenae said:
I don't drink ALL the sediment in the bottom- but I have done it sometimes. If I use a really flocculant yeast, it stays put in the bottom but if it's a different type of yeast, it "floats around' near the bottom. I don't worry about it. I notice no effects.

You guys have me paranoid that I shouldn't serve homebrew to my friends. When they come over, they all drink my beer and lots of it. Do I need to warn them about possible side effects? I think not.....you drink free beer, you accept the risk.

Lorena

That depends on the friends. If you warn men, they'll try to milk every last drop out just to see if it really works (kind of like having the breathalyzer in the bar, it becomes a contest to see who can blow the highest number) and then they'll fire the gun every chance they get. If you warn women, they'll be wary and most likely leave the room should anything occur. Then again, if it's like my neighbor, you wouldn't dare give him anything that may remotely stir something up. we call him A-Bomb for a reason.

Personally I think it would have no affect. For two reasons: First the yeast are in a dormant stage , if your beer is cold. Plus the highly acidic environment of your stomach is probably five fold lower(more acidic) than the san star cleaners we use. So the yeast are killed off.

I thought I heard it could make you "regular". I think we need to lure a newb into downing about 8 oz of slurry from the primary and let s(he) provide the results to us. Call it HBT initiation.

Yeast has lots of B-Complex vitamins. These vitamins boost the immune system and makes it more difficult for me to catch a cold or develop a URI if I'm exposed to a allergen.

HomeBrew! A miracle drug if ever there was one!

Lee in Tucson

First day of experiment. Got off to bad start last night when I got home and wife had made a curry! Never one to veer from the cause I got into it. Marsons Stout, 6 weeks old, bottled straight from primary with about 4mm of sludge at the bottom of the bottle. Very nice but when the second glass was poured out of the longneck the stout went a distinctly brown colour. No difference in taste whatsoever which isn't surprising. This morning I woke to see the blankets blowing 3 inches above the rest of the bed. Big day today me thinx. Burping and ferting me way through. Haven't dropped any friends off at the pool yet so it has not had the effect (even with the curry :rolleyes:) that I thought it would. Tonight to confirm I shall repeat the intake but without the sediment. Two days of curry may cloud :pthe result!

Cheesefood said:
http://www.bastis.org/yeast.htm

Surprised we're all not dead yet.

I believe that you'll find that while having some small basis in fact, this is more of a panic generator to cause you to...BUY THEIR PRODUCT and save your life. Hey, if I'm gonna' go, I'm going with a homebrew in my hand. While I certainly like to keep relatively fit, life is not a contest to see who dies with the best looking corpse. To quote an article I read some time ago, but cannot remember the relevant details, "...I'm going to slide over the finish line with a martini in one hand and chocolate in the other screaming WHOOO-HOOOO WHAT A RIDE!!!"

Report for Day two, curry even better, nowhere near as much wind as Day 1. Will not be repeating this again though as felt off colour all day and it was a struggle (;)) to get those non-sediment HBs down my throat.

There was a LOT of sediment in some of those bottles though which was probably an extreme amount to test the theory. Was at mother in laws house and had to keep going outside :D

Anyway, looks like about 2-1 in favour of having no effect. ...wonder if the people that voted for "look out below" were drinking the same types of beers (i.e. just stouts?). That could be another poll :p later...

Hopfan said:
Something about listening to that and looking at your avatar made me laugh my a** off.

I have a problem not reading the post when I see the avatar. very distracting :p

oh and i would NEVER repeat the drinking of the sediment, I was crook for two days with wind. Wasn't pretty :D

When I lived in Germany, I had many many Hefe Weizens, With no ill effects. At a pub the yeast is always poured in the glass:mug:

Back