Pumpkin ale through counterflow chiller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

illinibrew04

Reaction score
Ok, so I brewed a really tasty pumpkin ale last year that used 6 cans of libby's pumpkin in the boil. I had an immersion chiller at that time. Now I use a counterflow and am worried that I'll clog it with the pumpkin. Has anybody tried this before? Should I try to whirlpool and hope that helps? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Yeah, I was thinking about adding it in my hop sock but I talked to someone else who did that and said that there was very little left in the sock when he was done boiling.

I put my pumpkin ale wort through my CFC, but I only used one can of pumpkin and it was in the mash so it was filtered except for the very small particles. I would NOT try to put 6 cans in the mash without at least 2 pounds of rice hulls.

I just made Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale a couple weeks ago. If you're going all grain I recommend that you add the pumpkin in the mash. I added 75oz of pure pumpkin and a pound of rice hulls right to the mash. Slightly longer sparge time, but overall worked great. I had no problems pumping the wort through my CFC. Tastes great, can't wait for it to be finished.

pumpkin's in the boil. I've done it in the mash before and liked the results better in the boil

Back