Keg Converted to Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digdan

Reaction score
Has anyone successfully converted a half barrel keg into a fermentation vessel?

The rounded bottoms on those kegs seem like they would be perfect for putting a stainless steel valve on the bottom. And once the top has been removed I wouldn't see it too hard to convert that to a blow-off tube/airlock setup.

Let me know if I'm way off track

I ferment in a 1/2 barrel sanke. I didn't modify it much though, I just cut 3/4" off of the stem. I push the wort in from my chiller through the beer line (backflow check removed) and use the gas side (again, backflow check removed) as a blowoff. When the beer is ready, I crash cool it for a few days then just pump the beer out as usual, from the sanke to my cornies... way easier and less chance of contamination...

Hey Clamper,

Any comments on how you clean the sanke between fermentations? Seems like that is the main reason that most people dont ferment in these things.

Hey Clamper,

Any comments on how you clean the sanke between fermentations? Seems like that is the main reason that most people dont ferment in these things.

Most people cut a larger hole in the top to allow easier access for cleaning.

24-hour soak in Oxyclean, a good rinse and then boil 1 gal for 5 minutes to sanitize....

I use kegs for fermenters. I clean with Oxyclean and sanitize by boiling with water. I transfer by pushing with CO2. Works good

P1020899.jpg

P1020900.jpg

P1020901.jpg

I just saw one for sale @ Steinbarts in Portland.. 3 legs welded on, a corny lid welded on top and on the bottom they had a clear waterfilter housing welded in for trub dump. Did not look all that smart of a set up as far as the filter on the bottom as the bottom of the keg does not have the required angle to flow the trub/break into the cylinder.

Overpriced as well (don't remember $$), all the equipment they have is marked up at least 50% more than most online stores.

yeah - they are a bit pricey for equipment. I buy grain from there on occasion though as they have a great selection.

As far as the fermenter goes, I just got an empty a week ago. My plan is to go stock, stem removed, orange carboy cap with racking cane and push with CO2. I'd rather start with zero mods and make them if I need them.

What would the benefits be of a converted keg for a fermenter oppose to per say a airtight plastic barrel/bucket ?

i have a 54 litre carboy!!

I dont use it much now as i cant put fit it in my fridge which i have coverted to hold a specific ferment temps

also they are a real PITA to clean. i yet to find an easy way to clean all the crap from inside so its pristine. im always scared of contaminating other brews

i think sankeys would be ok to ferment in. strong construction and a big volume too but only disadvantages i can see is again cleanning through such a small hole and also seeing into the keg when syphoning the beer of to make sure no yeast is picked up

i have a 54 litre carboy!!

I dont use it much now as i cant put fit it in my fridge which i have coverted to hold a specific ferment temps

also they are a real PITA to clean. i yet to find an easy way to clean all the crap from inside so its pristine. im always scared of contaminating other brews

i think sankeys would be ok to ferment in. strong construction and a big volume too but only disadvantages i can see is again cleanning through such a small hole and also seeing into the keg when syphoning the beer of to make sure no yeast is picked up

My Sankey fits in my fridge and I crash the fermenter to 34 degrees to drop the yeast prior to kegging.

It is not really hard to clean. I just soak it overnight with Oxyclean and it makes it sparkle. One time that I had the yeast dry hard inside, I used lye and it removed everything completely.
Sanitizing the Sankey is the easiest of all of the common fermenters. I just put in a gallon or so of water and boil the snot out of it for five or ten minutes. I then pour out the remaining water and cover with aluminum foil. I cannot imagine anything living though that.

Having a hard time finding a good Sankey Mod post. Anyone got some good information on how to convert a Sankey Keg?

If you want to take out the spear - a good place to start. Here is a link:
Sanke Keg Revealed!

I cut the top off one and use it as a fermenter for larger than 5 gal batches. I love it. It wont break like glass, its light proof, and its a snap to clean up (with the top cut off you just hose it down, wipe it scour it whatever). I have just built an acrylic top that screws down (hard to describe - I have to post a pic later) with a gasket that will hold about 2-5 psi of pressure so the next batch I might be able to just keep it in keg without having to transfer to secondary to limit oxygen for storage (for a lager)

You don't have to mod the keg at all. A keg can be rolled anywhere, I wouldn't even want to try moving a 15 gallon glass demijohn. I have a write up in my signature about keg fermentation. Here's what my fermentation looks like inside my chest freezer.
6533-DSCN1664.JPG

6533-DSCN1663.JPG

Back