Don't hate the hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KayaBrew

Reaction score
I've read through a few threads in the past few months lauding hops. I'm here to pledge my allegiance to hops, and I'd like to add that I simply cannot bear the taste of Hefe's. C'mon Hefe haters, I know you're out there...let's make fun of HefeWeizen!!

Won't make fun, but I can not stand wheat beers or fruit beers. A hefe is a fruity wheat beer, so it's doubly bad for me! I know lots of people love them, though, so I can respect the style.

Won't make fun, but I can not stand wheat beers or fruit beers. A hefe is a fruity wheat beer, so it's doubly bad for me! I know lots of people love them, though, so I can respect the style.

You have a much more pleasant way of putting it. That's what I was trying to say!

I will NOT make a hefe. I just don't like any commercial offerings, so I can't imagine making 5 gallons of it!!!!

I enjoy a hefe every now and then, but I dig the hoppy brews alot more . If I was stranded on a deserted island and had to drink only one type of beer for the rest of my life, it would probably be Ruination IPA.

I really like Hefe's, I actually have one fermenting right now but....I do like hops also.
Nothing wrong with a nice hoppy lager or ale for that matter. I just don't like a beer where the hops are a dominant flavour. I prefer a nice balance of malty and hops. I also LOVE the smell of hops and have to smell them a bunch of times before tossing em in the brew kettle.
I don't think you have to be on side of the fence of the other. Hefe's vs. Hoppy IPA or whatever.
You CAN like BOTH in my opinion.
Whatever floats your boat is what I'm all about.

I'm a big fan of heavily hopped brews as well as weakly hopped wheat brews. They're all delicious.

I'm not a big wheat beer fan. I think the biggest problem is there are too many bad examples out there. Most of the time this is manifest as over the top flavors, be it clove, or bubblegum, or the yeast itself. I think what is happening is people are starting to think this is what good examples are supposed to taste like and it is leading to a bit of an arms race (trying to keep up with the hops arms race in IPAs). I do really enjoy a nice subtle wheat beer. Properly carbonated it can be quite refereshing.

hops are great!

hahaha!

not a huge hops fan but they are growing on me a little at a time. i drank a magic hat roxy roller and didnt hate it, not an ipa but it was pretty hoppy for my taste.

There's nothing wrong with hefes that blueberry syrup can't fix. Raspberry wheats, on the other hand, have no excuse.

Very few commercial samples are as good as plain weizen/hefeweizen in the Fatherland. The imported wheats I've tasted are substantially wrecked by the time they hit our shores and the American variants are tarted up.

I recently had a weizen made by Franconia in McKinney Tx; it was authentic and no-frills, and very, very good. It was like an average, fresh weizen in Deutschland to my memory and my tastebuds.

I can appreciate just about any beer for what it's meant to be, but I prefer my beers to be over-hopped.

I've read through a few threads in the past few months lauding hops. I'm here to pledge my allegiance to hops, and I'd like to add that I simply cannot bear the taste of Hefe's. C'mon Hefe haters, I know you're out there...let's make fun of HefeWeizen!!

Hefeweizens are great beers to sit back and relax too. Thats why they are one of my favorites. My other favorites are IPA's. The more hops, the better! :rockin:

When I grill a steak...I lightly season it. I like to taste the steak and not have it overpowered by seasoning...or worse...marinade. I like to have a good balance of steak flavor and seasoning.

When I make a beer...I lightly hop it. I like to taste (and smell) the malt and not have it overpowered by hop bitterness...or hop flavor or hop aroma. I like to have a good balance of malt and hops.

Don't hate the balance. :p

When I grill a steak...I lightly season it. I like to taste the steak and not have it overpowered by seasoning...or worse...marinade. I like to have a good balance of steak flavor and seasoning.

When I make a beer...I lightly hop it. I like to taste (and smell) the malt and not have it overpowered by hop bitterness...or hop flavor or hop aroma. I like to have a good balance of malt and hops.

Don't hate the balance. :p

Nicely put.
I tend to agree with you.

wildwest450, your avitar is making me horny. or maybe it's the beer. hell, it's both!:rockin:

I like both styles enough that I would consider making a Hopfeweizen. Seriously, it could be good.

There's nothing wrong with hefes that blueberry syrup can't fix. Raspberry wheats, on the other hand, have no excuse.

Hey now, I'll be brewing a raspberry wheat soon. It's mainly for the women in my life, but still, I may drink one or two if it turns out alright.

I like both styles enough that I would consider making a Hopfeweizen. Seriously, it could be good.

I've been considering doing an American wheat with lots of Summit and Amarillo hops. I think the citrusy character of these hops would be killer in a wheat beer.

I enjoy a hefe every now and then, but I dig the hoppy brews alot more . If I was stranded on a deserted island and had to drink only one type of beer for the rest of my life, it would probably be Ruination IPA.

Amen Brother, does that island supply the lifetime supply of Ruination? I'm there:mug:

Back