recipe for gout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheephrdr

Reaction score
Hi anybody have any recipes for gout sufferers? and does yeast culture still remain in the beer even after several weeks of conditioning? (brewers yeast is about the worst thing for gout because of the high purines) any body else effected by homebrew in this way?

Maybe you have lead poisoning?

"The subjects of lead-poisoning often suffer from gout when they have reached middle or later life...'saturnine gout' is invariably in those whose parents were gouty, and so frequent that most sufferers from chronic lead-poisoning are distinctly gouty." *

"A characteristic symptom is a narrow, bluish-black line on the gums, close to the teeth, distinguished by its narrowness and tint from the more common zone of purplish congestion." *

*taken from 'A manual of diseases of the nervous system' by W.R. gowers, (1893)

I have no experience with this, but a couple of thoughts off the top of my head:

1) Keg your beer and let the pressure from the CO2 tank do the carbbing instead of yeast and sugar in bottles

2) Do a long period in the secondary to really let the yeast settle out

3) Maybe a crazy idea... but after the brew is fully fermented, heat pasteurize it to kill the yeast

4) wine makers sometimes put sorbate in wine to kill the yeast

5) after removing from the secondary, filter it through a wine filter

6) any combination of the above

-------

Sorry, that's all I've got. Maybe someone else can better assist you. Anyone?

i thought this was a joke! Gout is rare among young people, its mostly found in older adults...avoid alcohol and seafood, and maybe your big toe wont hurt so much...

Gout is caused by uric acid crystals forming in the joints. So, avoid proteins that brake down into urea? Lounge Lizard's got the concepts for lessening yeast . Perhaps a low-protein recipe? Longer/more protein rest/s? Low protein ingredients- avoid corn and beans in your brew? I'd say to look up the particular proteins in grains to find the ones with least purine?

Then, when you find a good brew, drink lots of it- to wash the urea out of your system!

Back