BeerSmith vs. ProMash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digdan

Reaction score
I don't know why fate brang me to this, but I happen to stumble apon BeerSmith before ProMash. I bought BeerSmith for only $19.95 and it has more than everything I need.

I'm wondering... why does a majority of people choose to use ProMash? Am I missing the boat here?

I like Beersmiths interface way more than Promash, but promash is easy enough to learn. I had problems with sparge settings on my beersmith trial. Never did get that right.

That being said if you look you can get promash for 20 bucks shipped from a few vendors...

I'm thinking about getting both for the h#ll of it. I like aspects of both. Maybe I'll make my brewing partner buy one, and I'll buy the other. . . .Hmmmm. . .

I have both BeerSmith and ProMash. I like ProMash the most but probably because I have used it the longest. I would agree that either will do the job.

The major advantage of BeerSmith is that it is cimpliant with the BeerXML standard. Meaning you can import and export BeerXML files.

For those that don't know about BeerXML, here is a snippet from their website: http://www.beerxml.com

BeerXML is a free, fully defined XML data description designed for the exchange of beer brewing recipes and other brewing data. Tables of recipes as well as other records such as hops can be represented using BeerXML for use by brewing programs.

It is our hope that BeerXML will eventually allow for the open exchange of recipes between different beer brewing software packages. Compliance is purely voluntary, however, so timelines for implementation of the proposed standard may vary.

I have ProMash and I like it but some things about it disappoint me. It could be due to my ignorance because I haven't used the program for all that long.
1. It doesn't adjust gravity for temperature. With my old program I entered the SG and the temp. and it calculated the correct gravity.
2. It only has the capability of a primary and secondary fermentation. How do you document a tertiary?
3. It doesn't give a good description of ingredients. This is helpful when formulating recipes.
4. No way to document changes in fermentation temperature. My old program had a fermentation schedule where you could document changes in temp.
:mug:

RichBrewer said:
I have ProMash and I like it but some things about it disappoint me. It could be due to my ignorance because I haven't used the program for all that long.
1. It doesn't adjust gravity for temperature. With my old program I entered the SG and the temp. and it calculated the correct gravity.
Yes it does.......Look in the setup...

2. It only has the capability of a primary and secondary fermentation. How do you document a tertiary?
In the notes section is a lot of space to further document your brewing sucess.

3. It doesn't give a good description of ingredients. This is helpful when formulating recipes.
It allows YOU the user to add any description of ingredients you want to. This will allow you to customize the program to your brewing habits.

4. No way to document changes in fermentation temperature. My old program had a fermentation schedule where you could document changes in temp.

See number 2 above.

Richbrewer: when in the session screen and you want to record gravity click the hydro calc button to adjust the gravity for temp.

MrSaLTy said:
Richbrewer: when in the session screen and you want to record gravity click the hydro calc button to adjust the gravity for temp.
OK. Now that makes my socks go up and down! :ban:
Thanks for the info! That's why I love this site.

I have been using both also and there are some things in Beer Smith that's not in ProMash or at least I haven't found. Like a brewlog sheet, being able to e-mail a recipe or even copy and paste. If you can do that in ProMash I wish someone would tell me..

flhrpi said:
I have been using both also and there are some things in Beer Smith that's not in ProMash or at least I haven't found. Like a brewlog sheet, being able to e-mail a recipe or even copy and paste. If you can do that in ProMash I wish someone would tell me..
I don't know of a way to e-mail a recipe other than to attach the *.rec file to an e-mail. I think using BeerXML format is a big plus for BrewSmith (coming from a Promash user). I'm not sure what you mean by brewlog sheet, but it's definitely possible to print your Promash session information into a text or html file and print it for brewing reference...I do this every batch even though I frequently have a laptop with me. Also, if you go into the print menu you can select 'copy to clipboard' and you can then paste anywhere...for example...

Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

15-A German Wheat and Rye Beer, Weizen/Weissbier

Min OG: 1.044 Max OG: 1.052
Min IBU: 8 Max IBU: 15
Min Clr: 2 Max Clr: 8 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 11.50
Anticipated OG: 1.054 Plato: 13.31
Anticipated SRM: 3.5
Anticipated IBU: 16.3
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 20.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 6.88 Gal
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.043 SG 10.74 Plato

Formulas Used
-------------

Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
% Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.

Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Rager

Additional Utilization Used For Plug Hops: 2 %
Additional Utilization Used For Pellet Hops: 10 %

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
47.8 5.50 lbs. Pilsener Germany 1.038 2
47.8 5.50 lbs. Wheat Malt Germany 1.039 2
4.3 0.50 lbs. Rice Hulls 1.000 0

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
22.11 g. Hallertau Hersbrucker Pellet 4.75 16.3 60 min.

Yeast
-----

WYeast 3068 Weihenstephan Weizen

Water Profile
-------------

Profile: Raleigh on Neuse
Profile known for: Terrible Creek Ales!

Calcium(Ca): 6.6 ppm
Magnesium(Mg): 2.8 ppm
Sodium(Na): 22.3 ppm
Sulfate(SO4): 34.7 ppm
Chloride(Cl): 15.4 ppm
biCarbonate(HCO3): 32.3 ppm

pH: 8.28

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Type: Single Step

Grain Lbs: 11.00
Water Qts: 0.00 - Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal: 0.00 - Before Additional Infusions

Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 0.00 - Before Additional Infusions

Saccharification Rest Temp : 0 Time: 0
Mash-out Rest Temp : 0 Time: 0
Sparge Temp : 0 Time: 0

Total Mash Volume Gal: 0.00 - Dough-In Infusion Only

All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.

Baron, I couldn't find "copy to clipboard" I did find "print to text file". Maybe I have a different version.

Baron von BeeGee said:
I'm using 1.8.a. When I select 'print', there are radio button options under 'Print and Export Options'.

I have 1.6.a that's why I couldn't find it. Thanks, now I have to find my paperwork.

Rusty said:
It allows YOU the user to add any description of ingredients you want to. This will allow you to customize the program to your brewing habits.
I've tried to do this but it only gives you the one short line shown. Not nearly enough space to describe the malt profile.

Here is an example of the description of Victory malt from my old program Brewer's Workshop:

A unique, lightly roasted malt that provides a warm "biscuity" character to Ales and Lagers. Use 5 to 15% to add a fuller flavor and aroma to Ales, Porters and Full flavored, dark Lagers where a bigger malt character is desired without crystal malt sweetness.

Only a small fraction of this description will fit in ProMash.

I found this topic very useful.....just purchased beersmith. What a great tool!

--Aaron

digdan said:
I don't know why fate brang me to this, but I happen to stumble apon BeerSmith before ProMash. I bought BeerSmith for only $19.95 and it has more than everything I need.

I'm wondering... why does a majority of people choose to use ProMash? Am I missing the boat here?

Yup same here- I stumbled upon Beersmith first, so that's what I use. I even downloaded the trial version of Promash but never used it cuz by now I've pretty much got Beersmith down.

I have been using brewsmith, I found is first and find the interface alot more to my liking. I have won 6 medals with this software ...so it has to be good to me.

BeerSmith has a much more generous trial version and this is why I stuck with it and finally bought it.

Kai

Kaiser said:
BeerSmith has a much more generous trial version and this is why I stuck with it and finally bought it.

Kai

That was a reason for me too. One big thing for me is the water profiles, I likey. One nice thing about beer smith is the equipment already in the program (the 5-gallon igloo).

Kaiser, why is there a guy using your name in the suggestion area in beersmtih's forum.

sause said:
Kaiser, why is there a guy using your name in the suggestion area in beersmtih's forum.

because its me ;)

I had some ideas that I wanted to see implemeted in BeerSmith:

- graphical mash designer with decoction mash support (inlcuding sacc. rests for the decoctions). I didn't find to much support for this :(

- support for priming with Speise/Gyle. BeerSmith should be able to calculate the amount necessary to achieve the desired carbonation level. This may be implemented soon :)

- brewing scheduling support. Some of this will be implemented when a brew calander is implemented in BeerSmith.

Kai

sause said:
One big thing for me is the water profiles, I likey.

I'm pretty new at this whole thing, but I did get promash and have been using it to try to get used to it, and it does have a water profile key. So how important is the water profile and how do I figure it out?

--Ohms

omniscientomar said:
I'm pretty new at this whole thing, but I did get promash and have been using it to try to get used to it, and it does have a water profile key. So how important is the water profile and how do I figure it out?

--Ohms

Yeah I knew that it had one but Beersmith has some default ones that if you want to make a beer to a specific style or clone it can help you make your water close to it. And it has my specific water profile, Milwaukee.

Back