Oatmeal Stout Milk Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad to hear that you are enjoying it AnCapJake. You summed up this brew pretty much dead on, lots of color and flavor but exceptionally drinkable. Bigger isn't always better.

OMG been looking for a good MO Stout Extract reciepe so thanks. I have a pumpkin ale to do this week end but this looks liek it ferment really quike if I brewed it next weekend it would be bottled before the pumpkin. Thanks again and I think this one will go in my books and stay on tap for awhile I love a good Stout.

I brewed this recipe this weekend and had a lot of trouble with boil overs. I had to remove the pot from the heat every three minutes or so to prevent them. This might be due to my 2.5 gallon boil size. Everything else was done per the recipe. The other problem I had was the trub did not settle in the cooled wort well, and a lot made it to the primary. Did anyone else experience either of these issues? Is there anything I can do to correct it? I thought I could rack off the trub early and re pitch. All advice is appreciated.

I brewed this recipe this weekend and had a lot of trouble with boil overs. I had to remove the pot from the heat every three minutes or so to prevent them. This might be due to my 2.5 gallon boil size. Everything else was done per the recipe. The other problem I had was the trub did not settle in the cooled wort well, and a lot made it to the primary. Did anyone else experience either of these issues? Is there anything I can do to correct it? I thought I could rack off the trub early and re pitch. All advice is appreciated.

When I brewed this I experienced similar issues with the trub when I racked to primary. I began with a smaller boil size than I should have and it resulted in me having a rather thick sludge when I racked. I began by straining but realized I would have had an unreasonably low yield as well as alcohol content if I were to strain the entire thing so I just dumped the whole mess into my primary, topped off, then pitched. The trub settled really well after two weeks (racked onto a little less than 2 tbsp of vanilla for one week in secondary) and I ended up with a yield of about 44 bottles. I wouldn't stress too much as I was quite worried as well and my brew turned out phenomenally (nearly all of it has been drank in less than two weeks).

I am brewing a new version of this recipe since I am back in an apartment and don't have room for all grain. The numbers are all pretty close to the original recipe. I am most excited about swapping the black patent for Carafa III (I love Carafa III). Also, I think the addition of the Maris Otter should add some depth and a slight nuttiness to it.

Briess Golden Light Dry Extract 4 lbs, 8 oz
Briess Flaked Oats 1 lbs, 0 oz
Lactose 1 lbs, 0 oz
Crisp Chocolate Malt 0 lbs, 12 oz
Crisp Maris Otter 0 lbs, 8 oz
Briess 2 Row Carapils 0 lbs, 8 oz
Weyermann De-Husked Carafa III ® 0 lbs, 8 oz
Fuggles Pellets, UK 1 oz @ 60 mins
Fuggles Pellets, UK 1 oz @ 5 mins
Danstar Windsor

I am brewing a new version of this recipe since I am back in an apartment and don't have room for all grain. The numbers are all pretty close to the original recipe. I am most excited about swapping the black patent for Carafa III (I love Carafa III). Also, I think the addition of the Maris Otter should add some depth and a slight nuttiness to it.

Lactose 1 lbs, 0 oz
Danstar Windsor

Lactose 1 lbs, 0 oz
Danstar Windsor

Just picked up this stuff last night Hopefully its going in the Pot tonight.
I have been looking forward to brewing this for a while now. I am very excited about the Marris Otter change up.

Also just a couple questions, Is the total time Brew-Bottle 4 weeks including the conditioning time? Or is it more like 4 weeks primary and secondary then 2-3 weeks bottle?

That's great man! thanks for sharing!
I was about to buy the ingredients for a Christmas Ale, but this one sounds really good too!!

So I just found out I forgot to get the Oats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I guess since I have everything preped and ready to go I'm moving forward with 1lb of Flaked Wheat instead. I should get similar results (I hope). Let you know how it turns out.

So within 12 Hours this brew was bubbling quite nicley, as of yesterday morning no more action. So it was I'de say a good 48 hours of vigorous fermentation. Not sure if this is normal or not but from the other posts I would say it may have something to do with why this brew has such a quick turn around. Any pointers let me know

I bottled the Wheat one I made on Saturday Tasted great. The final Gravity was kinda low but over all I think this is going to turn out fine. Next up I'm making this with all "homegrown" Ingredients. I have malted my own Barley and grown my own hops, aside from the DME, everything else is mine. So heres to it!!!!

Brewed this yesterday and smelled good!

Are u guys doing secondary? Or just primary? How long should the fermentation last?

Wingnutt73 said:
My Fermentation was pretty fast 2-3 days. I did not use a secondary either. Bottled it after 11 days in the primary and should be enjoying it this week.

Let me know how it turns out! I've seen a similar recipe that the guy left in primary for 2 weeks then secondary with cocoa nibs for another 2 weeks and apparently it's REALLY good!

So I just found out I forgot to get the Oats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I guess since I have everything preped and ready to go I'm moving forward with 1lb of Flaked Wheat instead. I should get similar results (I hope). Let you know how it turns out.

I forgot the oats when i made mine and went to my grocery store and got organic oats and it worked out great(in my opinion) i also used sonnet hops instead of fuggle hops.

I went to the LHBS and got ingredients, the grains only came in 1lb bags, so that's what i got, and the guy crushed them all together, so i have twice as much black patent and carapils as i need, do you think this will effect the beer in a negative way?

I went to the LHBS and got ingredients, the grains only came in 1lb bags, so that's what i got, and the guy crushed them all together, so i have twice as much black patent and carapils as i need, do you think this will effect the beer in a negative way?

I would consider doing a double batch if its all mixed together. Get enough for another batch minus black patent and carapils. Double the black patent will throw it off for taste and of couse color. Hop ibu will be off as well, thats why I suggest a double batch. I will be worth it in the long run. Everytime I make it, it doesn't last long, family and friends seem to come around more when they know its on tap. :)

So I plugged this into Beer Smith 2 and noted a post regarding the FG being 1.009. I too still have that showing at 1.009 and also, my OG is only 1.049. I'm not sure if I picked the wrong ingredients in BS or what.

Any thoughts? I would like for BS to at least be right on the OG.
Screen Shot 2013-12-18 at 8.21.04 AM.png

Edit: I updated the software to 2.2.1 and now the OG is 1.047 and FG is 1.008. Not sure the bug reported last year was fixed.

I would consider doing a double batch if its all mixed together. Get enough for another batch minus black patent and carapils. Double the black patent will throw it off for taste and of couse color. Hop ibu will be off as well, thats why I suggest a double batch. I will be worth it in the long run. Everytime I make it, it doesn't last long, family and friends seem to come around more when they know its on tap. :)

That sounds like a good fix however I only have the capacity for 5 gallon batches at a time, so maybe I could do that, but mix all the grains together to get a homogenized mix and then just split it in half yeah? and then run two batches one after another in my pot, whuddyathink?

I must have done somwthing wrong. I put some chocolate nibs in secondary, last week i finally had the first bottle and it had a smoky after taste, and a sort of root sweet smell.
Not what i expected.
Can anyone tell me what was your results? Roasty? Smooth?
Id appreciate any feedback

How much chocolate nibs did you add to the secondary? Should be a smooth subtile chocolate after taste.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Home Brew mobile app

shadows69 said:
How much chocolate nibs did you add to the secondary? Should be a smooth subtile chocolate after taste.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Home Brew mobile app

I added just a little bit after leaving in the vodka for a week. But i'm reading on "how to brew" by john palmer that high fermentation temps will produce really bad off-flavors in the beer.
The batch fermented at 70 -72F. That might be it

I added just a little bit after leaving in the vodka for a week. But i'm reading on "how to brew" by john palmer that high fermentation temps will produce really bad off-flavors in the beer.
The batch fermented at 70 -72F. That might be it

That's quite a blanket statement though. I mean, there are plenty of different yeasts that love a good warm fermentation. A lot of Belgian yeasts for example thrive and produce wonderful aromas in that 70-72 temperature range. Some can even handle as much as 80-86F.

Cultkid said:
That's quite a blanket statement though. I mean, there are plenty of different yeasts that love a good warm fermentation. A lot of Belgian yeasts for example thrive and produce wonderful aromas in that 70-72 temperature range. Some can even handle as much as 80-86F.

I cant find a reason why the beer doesnt tast very good. What contamination tastes like? That could be it too.
Also it took me a about two hours to cool the wort, maybe thats part of the off flavors...
I will open another bottle tonight or tomorrow and try to identify any aroma or taste so i can let u guys know..

I cant find a reason why the beer doesnt tast very good. What contamination tastes like? That could be it too.
Also it took me a about two hours to cool the wort, maybe thats part of the off flavors...
I will open another bottle tonight or tomorrow and try to identify any aroma or taste so i can let u guys know..

One other thing to consider is that as a beer ages (assuming you're bottle conditioning and not force carbonating) is that the yeast will continue to scavenge off flavors in the beer and will continue to bring the gravity down as low as it can go. I once made a very high gravity (1.108 OG) barleywine that tasted horrible when I first made it. After letting it ferment for 2 weeks in primary, and then in the secondary for 3 weeks I bottled it, waited a couple weeks and tried it. It was bad. Like really really bad. So I sat on the bottles for a year and a half, and then entered them in a competition just so I could get an expert opinion on "what did I do wrong?" But to my surprise, after a year and a half cellared in the basement, they not only took their category "an excellent example of the complexity and depth of the style" to quote one BJCP certified judge, they placed in the Best in Show... so I guess my advice is to be patient, and try your stout again in 2 or 3 months. Most stout is improved with age.

Cultkid said:
One other thing to consider is that as a beer ages (assuming you're bottle conditioning and not force carbonating) is that the yeast will continue to scavenge off flavors in the beer and will continue to bring the gravity down as low as it can go. I once made a very high gravity (1.108 OG) barleywine that tasted horrible when I first made it. After letting it ferment for 2 weeks in primary, and then in the secondary for 3 weeks I bottled it, waited a couple weeks and tried it. It was bad. Like really really bad. So I sat on the bottles for a year and a half, and then entered them in a competition just so I could get an expert opinion on "what did I do wrong?" But to my surprise, after a year and a half cellared in the basement, they not only took their category "an excellent example of the complexity and depth of the style" to quote one BJCP certified judge, they placed in the Best in Show... so I guess my advice is to be patient, and try your stout again in 2 or 3 months. Most stout is improved with age.

Cultkid, thank you SO MUCH for your advice!

I had another bottle last night and the smell improved slightly, there were notes on chocolate. I will follow your advice and wait a few months.

Thanks again man!

Just brewed a version of this today - second brew ever. I modified things based on some advice and available ingredients. Used Amber DME instead of light. Used 12 oz of black patent, and added 8 oz of roasted barley. Made a starter of Windsor and pitched a little hot due to screwups with the wort chiller. So around 85 degrees when I pitched (kinda scared about that). Corrected OG 1.064. It was down to the mid seventies and bubbling like crazy by the evening. I moved it into cooler basement to try to get this thing down to 70. I'm kinda worried about the temperature and such crazy activity (had to use a blowoff hose in a bucket primary). Smells very roasty - kinda what I was going for, but the fuggles smell overly prominent. We'll see what happens! Comments welcome! Keep you posted.

So SG on days 7 and 10 in primary were unchanged at 1.032, from OG of 1.065. I did some serious stirring after the initial read, but I guess this is as far as it goes. I had added a bit of extra grains on brew day (12 oz black patent and 8 oz roasted barley). ABV comes out to 4.3, which is actually higher than what DrinkinSurfer's recipe actually calculates out to. But 1.032 seems super high. Does anybody have any thoughts? Does this fit with my extra grains? When would anyone consider repitching? I think I saw someone who racked at 1.030 earlier in this thread. It tastes pretty good - chocolate, roasty, with a very faint tang which I'm attributing to the lactose. Thanks for any and all advice - I'm a supernewb:D

So SG on days 7 and 10 in primary were unchanged at 1.032, from OG of 1.065. I did some serious stirring after the grains on brew day (12 oz black patent and 8 oz roasted barley). ABV comes out to 4.3, which is actually higher than what DrinkinSurfer's recipe actually calculates out to. But 1.032 seems super high. Does anybody have any thoughts? Does this fit with my extra grains? When would anyone consider repitching? I think I saw someone who racked at 1.030 earlier in this thread. It tastes pretty good - chocolate, roasty, with a very faint tang which I'm attributing to the lactose. Thanks for any and all advice - I'm a supernewb:D

I actually brewed this today! Only changes I made was add 16oz of corn sugar at end of boil to bump the FG

I think I'm gonna give this recipe a try next week and I have a bit of a newbie question.

The oats called for can just be regular grocery store oats right? part of the reason I want to do this one is I have some oats lying around

So mine turned out fine in the end. 12 days in primary, 17 days in secondary. Tried to go easy on bottling sugar shooting for 2.1 volumes CO2 but it actually was a touch flat even for stout after 3 weeks. Otherwise a very easy drinking session stout with a nice smooth finish very chocolatey.ImageUploadedByHome Brew1397952064.145496.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Hi All,
Im about to plan my first ever AG brew and had planned on a creamy type Stout as i am a Guinness lover and unable to get it where i now live.. So this recipe sounds and looks perfect for me in many ways.. suits my tastes and seems to be a rather easy/fast brew to bottle to my mouth beer :)

A few questions that i dont understand reading through all the posts:

1. SG and FG.. how do i test this? From what i read it sounds like you guys are opening up the primary fermenter a few times to test? how is this good for the beer opening the fermenter ?

2. What exactly is the point/need of secondary fermentation? why is it not possible to just leave it in the primary fermenter the whole time until bottling?

3. When priming to bottle, can this be added to the fermenter and then bottled or do i need to add a little to each bottle?

4. When brewing, talking time of boil and such, is that time calculated from the point where the water starts a boil or just total time over the heat? This mash part confuses me cause ive watched videos where people are mashing whilst over a gas burner so heating, but also seen some home brewers mashing in an old cooler, with no heat at all.. just preheated water..

5. I live in a hot place, can this stout be ok fermenting at say 25 degrees celcius?

6. Dues to space restrictions, i want to do a 1 gallon first brew, and am hoping that i can maybe after primary fermentation that i can split it into 2 half gallon secondaries to maybe experiment with some different flavours in each like the vanilla and chocolate additions.. is that possible?

Im sure more questions will arise, and i know i have a lot to learn before actually doing this first brew, but at least i think i have now found the recipe that i want to do!!

Hi All,
Im about to plan my first ever AG brew and had planned on a creamy type Stout as i am a Guinness lover and unable to get it where i now live.. So this recipe sounds and looks perfect for me in many ways.. suits my tastes and seems to be a rather easy/fast brew to bottle to my mouth beer :)

A few questions that i dont understand reading through all the posts:

1. SG and FG.. how do i test this? From what i read it sounds like you guys are opening up the primary fermenter a few times to test? how is this good for the beer opening the fermenter ?

2. What exactly is the point/need of secondary fermentation? why is it not possible to just leave it in the primary fermenter the whole time until bottling?

3. When priming to bottle, can this be added to the fermenter and then bottled or do i need to add a little to each bottle?

4. When brewing, talking time of boil and such, is that time calculated from the point where the water starts a boil or just total time over the heat? This mash part confuses me cause ive watched videos where people are mashing whilst over a gas burner so heating, but also seen some home brewers mashing in an old cooler, with no heat at all.. just preheated water..

5. I live in a hot place, can this stout be ok fermenting at say 25 degrees celcius?

6. Dues to space restrictions, i want to do a 1 gallon first brew, and am hoping that i can maybe after primary fermentation that i can split it into 2 half gallon secondaries to maybe experiment with some different flavours in each like the vanilla and chocolate additions.. is that possible?

Im sure more questions will arise, and i know i have a lot to learn before actually doing this first brew, but at least i think i have now found the recipe that i want to do!!

Wow a lot of questions.... First I would suggest reading up on how to homebrew & maybe watching some YouTube videos.... having said that let me answer some of your questions for you.....

1.You test this using a hydrometer. yes you open the fermenter & draw out a sample with a wine thief or a turkey baster as long as you use proper sanitization this will not hurt your beer..

2.You do not need a secondary fermenter... many brewers myself included only use a primary... primary for about 3 weeks check SG and bottle accordingly..

3.Use a bottling bucket, boil the priming sugar in a couple cups of water and add to the bottling bucket then rack your beer on top of it and bottle away...

4. The time starts when the wort comes to a boil. When people mash over a burner the heat is not on you may do this in your kettle using a bag (see BIAB) or in a cooler traditional style with preheated water.

5. 25°C is a bit warm most ales should be fermented around 18°C-21°C You can use a swamp cooler or fermentation chamber to achieve this.

6.Yes that is definitely possible just make sure to restrict head space in your secondary vessel to reduce risk of oxidation.

Good luck! If you have any more questions create a thread in the beginners forum you are mose likely to get a quick response.

Cheers:mug:

Well here it is after fermenting for 11 days, bottled for 12. The rest will wait until Thanksgiving. Can't wait to hand it out to my family, I think they will really enjoy it as it's really easy to drink. Thanks for the recipe!

tZlJrdt.jpg

A few questions: Has anyone tried this with LME instead of DME?

What about adding a little brown sugar? say .5-1 lb. do you thinkg it would lend something besides a higher OG to this recipe? Im wondering because i do like some brown sugar on my oatmeal

Has anyone tried adding vanilla extract at bottling, if so how much? Im thinking of splitting this batch by bottling half without vanilla, then adding it to the rest, so just wondering how much would be good.

How different is nottingham than windsor, will it ferment drier and less sweet/fruity than windsor,

Started an all grain version of this recipe this afternoon. OG was 1.054 and we got 5.5 gal of wort into the primary, so I think we had a good day.

Back