Beer tastes right, but finish is very light, thin - what's going on?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrun123

Reaction score
Newbie. First home brew, a Sierra Nevada pale ale clone. Bottled 3 wks ago. Primary for 2.5 wks, secondary for 2 wks. Throughout process everything went as planned. OG 1.046, FG 1.010.

Beer smells right, nice head, and tastes right. But finish is very light, thin, short almost like sparkling water. Body is not there.

Any thoughts? Will this improve with time?

Recipe?

I'm not an expert on tasting of beer notes yet but I believe that a beer with a low fg such as 1.010, it will be a pretty dry beer with not a lot of body. Once you post a recipe it will help use assist you in your question.

Overattenuation, as previously mentioned, can cause a lighter body, but not always.
Overcarbonation can cause a lighter, crisper mouthfeel.

Recipe would help to look at but might not reveal anything.

It might improve with time, and it might not.

If you think it might be overcarbed then, as a test, you could try releasing some pressure on one room temp bottle (just barely pry up on the cap until you hear most pressure release). Cramp the cap back on the bottle, and chill for 2 days before drinking. See if the reduction of co2 help with the body.

Here is the recipe. This was a Midwest kit so pretty straightforward.

6 lbs of light malt extract
8 oz. Caramel 10L
8 oz. Carapils
2 oz. Perle
2 oz. Cascade
White labs liquid yeast
Boil time: 60 min.

Never occurred to me that over-attenuation or over-carbonation would be the issue. From what I could find I thought more conditioning in the bottle might be the answer.

Just looking at the recipe it looks like it would be a little thin to me. The Carapils should have added some body but if you want more try that recipe and add 8 oz of Maltodextrin with 5-10 minutes left in the boil. That will increase the mouth feel.

1.010 is not a low FG at all. It's about average for a mid gravity ale to finish at. If you're used to drinking big,heavy bodied beers,then that will be watery by comparison. Or your perception of what you thought it'd be as well. Your OG/FG is pretty average.

The problem is after the initial taste there is little or no finish after the swallow. Even Bud Light has a finish. Just trying to figure out why. This one noses and tastes fine and goes away quickly.

The problem is after the initial taste there is little or no finish after the swallow. Even Bud Light has a finish. Just trying to figure out why. This one noses and tastes fine and goes away quickly.

Why did you secondary?

When did you put the hops in (timing)? SNPA IS bittered with Magnum, but it appears that was not in your kit.

I have:
.5 Magnum @ 60
.5 Perle @ 30
1 oz Cascade @ 20
.5 Cascade at flame out

How is your carbonation? Bottling went okay?

1 oz perle at 60
1 oz perle at 30
2 oz cascade at 2

I decided to secondary for no particular reason except the experience. This is my first run. Bottling went fine. Carbonation seems to be great.

Back