Wet shaving thread.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also picked up a 1956 Flare Tip Super Speed for my FIL for Christmas. I cleaned it up real nice and will throw in some sample blades. He already shaves with a brush and shave soap, but for some reason still uses disposables. We'll see if this can get him to switch.

100 astra blade for less than 10 bucks? Lucky you!

I use feather and cheapest I can get 100 is £22 (like $35?), ordering from Thailand through Amazon.

I guess they're a little more expensive than most, but they feel so good! Maybe not so necessary now I use Edwin Jagger preshave lotion which makes a huge difference for me.

ChillWill said:
100 astra blade for less than 10 bucks? Lucky you!

I use feather and cheapest I can get 100 is £22 (like $35?), ordering from Thailand through Amazon.

I guess they're a little more expensive than most, but they feel so good! Maybe not so necessary now I use Edwin Jagger preshave lotion which makes a huge difference for me.

This is how I do it... And the blades I use!

I use a futur with astra during the winter months and feather during the warm months. Darn facial hair changes with the seasons up here. Throw in a silver tip badger brush and a bond street cream and pres de provence balm and my shaving represents Germany, England, France, where ever the brush comes from (since it is silver tip badger at least the fur is from china), and Russia or Japan (depending on the blade).

So i started brewing about 3 weeks ago and im about to start my third batch.
I want to do a peanut butter ale i want to know if anyone else has done one before?

I've posted this before but maybe I'll reach new eyes. I have unopened 5 Packs of Derbys and would like to do some swaps to try out other brands. Pm me with what ya got.

Wait... I didn't think you were allowed to shave once you started brewing because they have magic brewing powers? So I have this awesome beard for the awesomeness and not better beer?!?!?!?

Now I don't mean to rain on your parade, but after about a sample pack of 100 different blades, Derby was in the bottom 5 of the pack.

Sure YMMV but I wouldn't wish my dog to shave with those blunt instruments. :p

Now I don't mean to rain on your parade, but after about a sample pack of 100 different blades, Derby was in the bottom 5 of the pack.

Sure YMMV but I wouldn't wish my dog to shave with those blunt instruments. :p

One thing I've learned from this thread is the the combination of the man, the razor and blade is different for everyone here. I've tried blades that others rave about and didn't like them. On the other hand, I've found my favorite (with my razor) is Shark, which many here don't like. Its the combination that's critical.

I agree.... Some folks can use those Derbys all day long. I have never tried them cause my search for a blade only took me... Well I didn't have to search. Over in B&B lots o folk say feathers are crazy sharp almost too much (is that really possible?) them fall off fast, 7 o clock yellows get a lot of followers as a decent blade, and then there is super iridiums. Super sharp, lasts quite some time so says a bunch of folk. I bought a bunch of SI's and. 7 o clock yellows. The SI is the go to, and the yellows work nice too for me. In multiple razors, both of them. I for one am sooooooo.... Glad that the SI's are available again.

I've developed a liking for most any of the 7oclocks.
I also ordered a straight that needs a touch of restoration and a good honing. I hope it can be restored. I'll try to post a pic once it shows up.

Got some tallow soap from Stirling Soap Company on the very cheap. :D I'm loving the scent of the pipe tobacco but I think it was a prototype batch and he isn't making it for production. Boo!

Very happy about wet shaving again. Had to fix my shaving brush as the knot came out of the handle. Probably shouldn't have tried a three pass shave with a Feather is the '38 Tech after a lengthy hiatus from wet shaving.

Eh, it'll just condition your face that much faster!

Yeah, the first shave with it was bad, really bad. I moved over to the Slim Adjustable and toned it down a bit. Today was a really nice shave, but I had two day's growth on my face and that helped. Super smooth face and far less bleeding and irritation.

I'm still itching to try a straight at some point.

My dad used to use cheap (williams) shave soap. It was always on his Christmas/birthday/fathers day list. Last year I bought him a puck of good shave soap (Wool Fat). He didn't ask for any shave soap this year. When I glanced in the dish, he still had almost half a puck left. Pretty good deal in my opinion.

I got some ARKO in a Christmas package from someone at Badger and Blade. I may have to buy a case and be set for a three years. One stick lasts forever.

My strop comes sometime soon, hopefully I can shave like a real man and not a vintage man very soon. :D

I had an interview yesterday and shaved with a tried and true soap of TOBS Sandalwood. That super thick, fragrant lather when warm is amazing when you lather up. Spa treatment for your face every morning! :D

I got some ARKO in a Christmas package from someone at Badger and Blade. I may have to buy a case and be set for a three years. One stick lasts forever.

My strop comes sometime soon, hopefully I can shave like a real man and not a vintage man very soon. :D

I had an interview yesterday and shaved with a tried and true soap of TOBS Sandalwood. That super thick, fragrant lather when warm is amazing when you lather up. Spa treatment for your face every morning! :D

I need to try some quality soap/cream. The Proraso kind of works for me, but I'd like something amazing.

Lots of nice soaps out there. I ordered a sample of Mitchell's Wool Fat when I got my strop and I like that too. The TOBS Sandalwood cream is just heavenly and I may still like it best.

There are so many nice soaps and creams out there. I have really only tried the less expensive ones. You can drop a lot of money quick on a lot of this stuff. The plus side is if you're watching how much you use it can last a long long time.

Lots of nice soaps out there. I ordered a sample of Mitchell's Wool Fat when I got my strop and I like that too. The TOBS Sandalwood cream is just heavenly and I may still like it best.

There are so many nice soaps and creams out there. I have really only tried the less expensive ones. You can drop a lot of money quick on a lot of this stuff. The plus side is if you're watching how much you use it can last a long long time.

I'll have to check out the TOBS stuff...how strong is the scent? My wife is NOT a fan of sandalwood. Happy wife, happy life, and a wife that likes the scent is much more likely to get within range.

I go old school with TOBS rose cream. Apparently waay back in the day rose was a men's scent. The scent is strong but not too strong.

I Use a Rotation of

DR Harris Arlington
Trumper Lavender
Trumper Rose
C&E Nomad
DR Harris Marlboro
Provance Sante Green Tea
Wool Fat
TOBS Eaton College

I usually pull a couple out in the fall and spring and add a couple in

I've been using a combination of Baker St. soap (from the Strop Shoppe) and Proraso Red cream. I add a few drops of olive oil into the mixture. The resultant consistency of the lather is excellent and the aroma is fantastic.

I have yet to try any other soaps/creams as I'm happy with the results of my current combo. Though DR Harris Arlington, and now TOBS, are both on my list of soaps to try.

I had a beard until I got my Merkur... Now I shave everyday. Ex-wife preferred the beard... hahahahaha

A lot of people like the different TOBS scents. Mr Jerym or Eton College may be more your wife's style for a scent. Shop around, lots of places have it and its usually on sale somewhere.
ETA: http://sampleshop.blogspot.com/ Or you can get some samples ;)

Ordering TOBS Sandalwood and Eaton.

Anyone have a pack of Feathers (10 blades or so) they can loan me? I'm ordering a 100 blades from a dealer in Thailand, and shipping is 17-26 business days, which could be pushing mid-February. When mine get in, I'll drop whatever you send back in the mail.

I love feathers in my Slim Adjustable. I got the 5.3 oz cream tubs. Are soaps preferred?
Soap vs cream is up to the user. The creams lather super easy and you will need less on your brush than you think you will.

If the misses doesn't like the sandalwood and you need to offload it, let me know. I'm sure we can arrange something.

I never really got behind feather blades. They were ok but they never seemed smooth. Sharp, yes! Smooth, no. And the cost but then I started saying screw it and bought the blacks. Their saving grace is I get 5-7 shaves out of one instead of 3-4 like the AstraSP's which I thought I really liked...

Back