All Grain Chocolate Biscuit Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Herky21

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Safale 05
Yeast Starter
If you have the time
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
20 days, ambient 60-65F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days, ambient ~65
Tasting Notes
Rich dark chocolate flavor. Biscuit from victory great.
Breakfast Stout AKA Breakfast in Beer

Type: All Grain Date: 10/6/2012

Boil Size: 9.02 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 120 min
Equipment: All Grain
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage

10 gallon Igloo with 9 gallon pot over 2 burners.
1 camden tablet per gallon of water, gypsum and CaCo3 as needed with PH test strips.
Irish Moss at 10 minutes left.

Excess when moving into 5 gallon secondary: 64 oz. moved to growler secondary on ~4 oz of roasted cacao nibs. Roasted at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes.

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU

MALT:

9 lbs 2 Row (American) (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 57.1 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 2 9.5 %
1 lbs Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 3 6.3 %
1 lbs Peat Smoked Malt (2.8 SRM) Grain 4 6.3 %
1 lbs Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 5 6.3 %
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 6 4.8 %
8.0 oz Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 7 3.2 %
4.0 oz Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 8 1.6 %
4.0 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 9 1.6 %

*8.0 oz Amber Dry Extract (12.5 SRM) Dry Extract 14 3.2 % [i measured too much water out and used what I had on hand to fix it - this is not necessary as part of the recipe]

HOPS:

1.00 oz Warrior [16.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 10 47.3 IBUs
1.00 oz Chinook [11.10 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 11 16.3 IBUs
1.00 oz Perle [8.90 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 12 5.2 IBUs

YEAST:

1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml] Yeast 13 -

Beer Profile

Actual Alcohol by Vol: 7.5 %
Bitterness: 68.8 IBUs
Calories: 250.9 kcal/12oz
Est Color: 40.2 SRM

Mash Profile

Sparge Water: 6.08 gal
Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.6 F
Tun Temperature: 90.0 F
Mash PH adjusted to: 5.4

BATCH Sparged with lactic acid, then PH adjustment.
Measured efficiency= ~88%
*added Amber DME after 10 minutes of cooling.

I bottled one gallon as is. Lots of chocolate with a hint of smoke.

the other 4.5 gallons are currently in a secondary with 4 oz of bakers chocolate that were dissolved in 3/4 cup of 2-year aged Cruzan Rum. The chocolate dissolved in about a week and chilled out with a vanilla bean, cut into three pieces. Also in the secondary: ~5 oz of roasted cacao nibs, ~1 oz unroasted nibs, ~2 oz of dark roast coffee beans [Verena St. 9 mile sunset], 8 oz. of cold pressed coffee from dark roast beans [Cameron's French Roast].

Let me know what you think of the recipe.

I will add updates when the final product is bottled and conditioned. The 1 gallon that is bottled will be ready first so I'll add a photo of that when it is ready, and the chocolate-coffee version later on. That should be a good comparison to see how the bakers chocolate and the nibs have effected head retention.

[UPDATE 11/1/2012]: I bottled this a few days ago as the chocolate-coffee flavor was phenomenol. I'd highly recommend using both bakers chocolate as a homemade extract and nibs. I also think that dryhopping with whole coffee beans added a great aroma. The cold pressed coffee didn't have much aroma, but added good flavor.

You only get a hint of smoke from a pound of peat malt? I've always heard that stuff is crazy strong

This does sound good. I like you chocolate and other flavor infusion techniques! Why the DME? Was it to adjust to hit your numbers?

I miscalculated, sparging a little too much water. I thought the grain would retain a little more of it. My end boil volume was 6 gallons instead of 5.5 so I added the dme as I had it on hand. It bumped the OG right to where I needed it to be.

You only get a hint of smoke from a pound of peat malt? I've always heard that stuff is crazy strong

I bottled 1 gallon of it prior to the chocolate additions and I'd say it is a moderate smoke flavor. The dark malts and the chocolate malt especially are very strong flavors too. Ultimately, I will have to see how much the smoke comes through when the beer is carbonated and the head opens up the aromas more. I tasted it at bottling and it seemed very balanced. I guess saying "a hint" isn't necessarily as descriptive as I should've been. It is not overly smokey in any way at all though. It is a mild smoke flavor, not like in your face smoke beers (Ofallons comes to mind). The chocolate malt is more prominent to me.

Here's the version without chocolate or coffee aging. This is just the base grain beer. Still, the smoke is an afterthought to the chocolate malt. This is a very interesting, balanced, dry stout. I really like it.

PS.jpg

Here is the beer that was aged on Cacao Nibs, A vanilla bean, whole bean coffee, and cold press. It is excellent. I would probably not use Safale-05 in the future and mash a little higher to boost the body, but other than that It came out extremely well.

Breakfast in Beer.jpg

Back