Mash Tun Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xfakex

Reaction score
Hey guys, I received this mash tun for my birthday, and honestly, I have no idea how to use it. I do know the overall jist of mashing thanks to the stickies, but does anyone know how I would use this particular/specific mash tun? I've posted pics, and as you can see it has a spout that is connected to some brass piping with hole on the inside. Any help is appreciated!

I'm a very recent extract brewer btw

B1NXx.jpg

sAaPH.jpg

Did you build that or did you buy it like that?
It's going to be hard to maintain your mash temp in that.

Mustangj said:
Did you build that or did you buy it like that?
It's going to be hard to maintain your mash temp in that.

Throw some blankets on it. It was free.

Yes, it was a gift. Do I need to put a screen or anything over the copper to prevent grain/sediment from getting into the holes? Actually, can anyone explain to me what the deal is with the copper contraption at the bottom?

I have never seen a MLT like that. The key to mashing is to Maintain a temp. Igloo coolers are the cheaper (and also a very good one) type. I do not think you could mash in this one. I would fill it with 150 degree water, wrap it and see how much heat loss you have after 15, 30, 60, and 90 minutes. If it drops more than 3 degrees over that time (90 minutes), I would think you have a piece of art. I suspect you will lose about 5 degrees per 30 minutes making it not useable.

No screen needed

The holes in the pipe should be facing down not up( so it doesn't get plugged with grain).

And the copper contraption is called a manifold.

I have never seen a MLT like that. The key to mashing is to Maintain a temp. Igloo coolers are the cheaper (and also a very good one) type. I do not think you could mash in this one. I would fill it with 150 degree water, wrap it and see how much heat loss you have after 15, 30, 60, and 90 minutes. If it drops more than 3 degrees over that time (90 minutes), I would think you have a piece of art. I suspect you will lose about 5 degrees per 30 minutes making it not useable.

:tank:

It looks like some modification is needed! The holes in the manifold (copper tubing) should be facing down.

You will need to get the right mash temperature then pile the blankets on it to keep a steady temperature. Use it until you can get a good cooler mash tun.

Back